Which Powdered Sugar Do You Use?

Decorating By Leauna Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 1:55pm by KodiSnip

Leauna Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 20

I have been using C & H Powdered Sugar from the start. I like the taste of it. It worked well with Crisco, but now that Crisco has changed their recipe icon_cry.gif I went and bought some Sweetex after reading on here about what shortening to use. My question is: Do you have a preference of PS? And which one? I did some price checking and I can get bulk PS for a lot less and the price of C & H just seems to keep going up. Is the sweetex shortening different enough that it won't matter which PS I use?

Thank you in advance
Happy Baking!

19 replies
jason_kraft Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 20

We use Target powdered sugar, it usually costs around $1.50 for a 2# bag.

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 20

I'll only use 100% cane sugar and in my area, that's C&H or Domino. I use Sweetex and have no issues with it. I tried other brands that aren't 100% cane (if the bag DOES NOT state CANE sugar, as opposed to just "sugar", it's beet sugar and I do NOT like the resulting product.) and went right back to those 2 brands.

Right now, I can only find 4# Domino bags at BJs and they run $3.79 ea. I don't have an option for conveniently storing a 50# bag, so it works well for me to keep the 4# bags on hand.

cakestyles Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 20

I'm with Rae...I'll only use cane sugar and I buy Dominos.

jason_kraft Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 20

We use pure beet sugar for strict vegans (cane sugar is processed using animal bone char), and we haven't noticed any difference in taste or texture.

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 20

My personal experience with beet sugar is a stickier end product that, compared to my regular icing, has a slight greyish tint to it.

Aside from the color issue, the stickiness made smoothing more difficult.

JMHO & experience,

sweettreat101 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:07am
post #7 of 20

Pure cane sugar. I try to stick with C&H but I will use Sunny Select pure cane sugar in a pinch. I won't use beet sugar at all. And I stay away from Targets brand Market Pantry. I worked for the company for 23 years and a customer brought a pack of hamburger buns back that had a rat tail baked in the bottom. The lady was nice and just wanted a refund. I don't know if I would have been that nice since they had already put mustard and ketchup on the buns before noticing the extra protein. Yuck.

leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 20

I use Aldi brand. I have used pretty much every brand available in my large city and have noticed absolutely no differences at all between any of them.

olleharr Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 20

I stick with Dominoes or C&H when it comes to making my own fondant. For buttercream any kind will do.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 20

Did Crisco change their recipe again?

It's been 4 years since the trans fats were removed from Crisco.

lovecakes52 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 20

I am with Leah..... I use Sweetex shortening and Aldi brand powder sugar!

Leauna Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 20

Thank you all for your responses. @ TexasSugar, I only recently found out about the Crisco trans fat from on here. I have learned alot since joining. I didn't know personally that the amount of trans fat made a difference. I guess that if I haven't noticed a difference and it has been 4 years, then maybe I should just stick to what I am use to and works for me.

I haven't heard of Aldi brand PS, maybe we don't have that here in Utah.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 20

I continue to see people post "oh, you must be using the new crisco" to posts when people are having a icing issue. I think people just got use to seeing it and forgot how long it has been.

I actually not that long ago looked it up on here when the posts started, and it has been about 4 years since they removed trans fats from Crisco. Some store brands still had them in it, but I think they are slowly removing it from those as well.

If your icing was working fine before you head about the 'new' crisco, and you've been using crisco for the last four years, then don't change a thing. icon_smile.gif

Lovelyladylibra Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 20

I use target its 2.09 for 2lb bag but I found another brand for 1.50 they all taste the same to me so the cheaper for me the better

love2makecakes Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 20

Maybe it is just me, but I find a difference between the brands. I would love to find something cheaper. I have always used C&H, but with each bag costing $2.25 + it seems like my icing just keeps getting more and more expensive! In the past I have tried store brands or the 7lb bag from Sams and have found that my icing is too grainy. I personally do not like that feeling on my teeth so I will continue to stick with C&H till I can find something else that I like for a better price. I also use Sweetex.

Spooky_789 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:19pm
post #16 of 20

I'm able to find at my local Sam's Club 4# bags of C&H Pure Cane Sugar for $3.73, which is pretty reasonable. If I need a 2# bag, then I will usually go to WalMart and get it there.

langranny Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:32pm
post #17 of 20

Aldi. It's the only brand I've ever found that I don't have to sift. Even C&H has little lumps in it, but Aldi's doesn't. Course, the fact that it's about $1.39 a bag (2lbs) is nice too.

MartiW Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 11:53am
post #18 of 20

This weekend I used CostCo's USA powered sugar. Really liked it. Used the Hi-Rato shortening. Was not grainy, pure white in color. Really creamy one of the creamest frostings I have ever made, the cost was $4.25 for a 7 lb bag.

CakeCrystals Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:12pm
post #19 of 20

I use Aldi's and Domino brand PS. These brands by far give me a creamy BC and no grainy texture. I do sift my PS maybe that's why.

KodiSnip Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:55pm
post #20 of 20

Smart and Final carries 25 lb bags of C&H for around $20.00. If I use anything else, my buttercream is grainy. I have used Walmarts PS in emergencies and I always double sift it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%