Cake Stand Safe?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 6:34pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 5

Would this cake stand be safe for a 12"/10"/8"/6"/4" cake?

My gut says no but my bride bought it for her cake for this weekend....ehhhh. Plus, I have on the contract I'd put the cake on a 14" board but I sure hate traveling with a cake that tall on a board only 2" larger than the bottom tier. ehhhhhhh.....

Thoughts? She did tell me, worst case, not to use it, but she's going to set it out for me anyway.

Honestly, I wish the magazines wouldn't portray cakes as being on these pedestal stands....they are made of styrofoam! Real cake isn't nearly as safe on them!

4 replies
mayo2222 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 5

I don't think I would trust such a large cake on such a small base. Besides if you look at the cake stand there is a lot of detail around the edge which means it probably isn't meant for a cake (esp a stacked one that large) to take up the entire cake stand.

Trust your gut! Tell them its not worth the potential disaster that would happen should someone bump cake or what might happen when they go to cut their first bite.

ShandraB Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 5

I have seen these work, but it's hard to tell from the picture. I think you'll just have to try it when you get there.

I had a cake recently that I refused to use the provided cake stand, it had no flare on the bottom and would tip over with very little pressure. There is no way the cake would have survived the cutting ceremony...

Toptier Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 5

No way, don't do it. My limit is three tiers on a pedestal stand and even that makes me nervous.

You're absolutely right, those large cakes on pedestal stands in magazines are styro.

I know you'll feel bad but ask her if she'd rather have her cake on the floor or on the table.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks all...she's being a great sport and ordering a plateau instead, last minute...

Quote by @%username% on %date%