Make Sugar Diamonds And Molds

Sugar Work By Chef_Stef Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 4:04am by osubaby

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 7

I'm sick of paying a fortune for sugar diamonds that never seem to be the sizes I need, so I'm thinking of going out and making my own molds and getting some isomalt to play with.

Has anyone made molds for this before? any tips?

If I get it right, I'm going to mass produce the little suckers; then *pbbthh* icon_razz.gif at all the high shipping costs; I just paid almost $50.00 for not-enough of the not-small-enough diamonds to work on one cake recently, and I've had it with looking for SMALL FREAKING DIAMONDS ALREADY.

not annoyed or anything, lol

Will keep you posted. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:21am
post #2 of 7

I have a silicon mold that has tons of slots for really tiny gems (engagement ring size and a little larger). I don't know what brand it is, unfortunately, because a friend got it for me, but I'm sure they're available. Have you checked out Global Sugar Arts and some of the other big online vendors? Also, if you want to make a mold, you might check out the Make Your Own Molds site - they sell the materials you need for making molds yourself. Hope you find what you're looking for!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 7

There is a new proudct out now that is like a hot glue gun but for isomalt sticks..I got an email the other day to preorder one..I think it is by Sassy sticks...

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 5:39am
post #5 of 7

I got the molds made and love how they turned out. It will take a bit of fooling with to get the mold ING to go right, not good to try to learn the day I need them..but it worked well enough. Sorta

Notes:
1. Eye dropper--doesn't work
2. Temp has to be pretty hot or the sugar sets too quickly before going in the mold, keep on stove over tinytinytiny flame.
3. Too long over tiny flame turns sugar, and hence diamonds, too dark
4. Toothpick works best to drip single small drop into each tiny diamond cavity.
5. Super small diamonds don't mold well because they're too small a cavity

more to come

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 7

Kathy Scott makes a silicon spoon that works great for this kind of application.

osubaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osubaby Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 4:04am
post #7 of 7

I know it's been awhile since you posted about this, but I was wondering how u made ur diamond mold? I too am in need of one, and was thinking of making one, but don't know where to start. Any tips or tricks you have learned with the isomalt? Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%