Fondant Decorated On A Buttercream Cake??

Decorating By CassDesigns Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 10:26pm by CassDesigns

CassDesigns Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 21

Hey I have a question for fondant users.. I really never worked with it.. but I was hired to make a bridal shower cake and she wants it to be 2 tiered & cowboy theme.. The cake she saw she likes has horse shoes & a rope around it.. My question is, is it possible to put fondant decorations on a cake covered in buttercream? bc she does not want fondant for the whole thing bc she hates the taste.. but I can't think of a good way to use buttercream to make a rope? any help or advice would be soo greatly appriciated! Any ideas also would be great how to add fondant on to a buttercream cake or if it cant then how to make a rope in buttercream that looks good.. thanks!!

20 replies
TexasSugar Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 21

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Rope

How to do a rope in buttercream.

And yes you can put fondant decorations on a buttercream cake.

cassi_g16 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 21

I do more butter cream cakes with fondant accents than I do with fondant covering the whole thing. I think it looks good and it is very easy. I little artist brush and water to moisten the back of the fondant before applying to the butter cream works well. Don't add too much water or it will make the die in the fondant run.

CassDesigns Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 21

Thanks guys!! that helps alot!

CassDesigns Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 21

Another quick question.. you say that you decorate fondant on buttercream.. so it doesnt fall off? like its not too heavy to use? thats what i was afraid of.. that if i put a rope on it will be too heavy n just fall off

TexasSugar Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 21

If it is a super thick or heavy piece it can, but if it is smaller it should hold just fine.

CassDesigns Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 2:14am
post #7 of 21

Thanks so much! also a question I wanted to ask earlier.. sorry lol.. but If i make a buttercream cake with fondant decorations can i put it in the fridge still? bc i know sometimes people say not to put fondant in the fridge but if its buttercream should i anyways? this is what im making.. a 2 tier cake for a wedding shower.. she wants a cowboy theme.. the idea is use buttercream for the whole cake.. add a rope around the cake & horse shoes to it.. and cowboy boots to the top.. so all that would be fondant.. heres the picture shes going by:http://archive.blisstree.com/feel/wedding-cake-cowboy-boots/

So i want to make sure i store it correctly with out going bad..

me_me1 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:15am
post #8 of 21

Can you store your buttercream cake in the fridge until the day of the wedding and just put the fondant accents on that morning? You wouldn't need to put the cake back in the fridge then.

Spazmo76 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:38am
post #9 of 21

Hi - FYI you cannot put fondant in the fridge. it makes it "sweat" and you fondant will go sticky.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:46am
post #10 of 21

I put my cakes with fondant in the fridge all the time???? it does not hurt them

CassDesigns Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 21

Unfortunatly I cant do that. Its for a bridal shower on sunday but the way the girls are so busy she needs to pick it up saturday instead. So thats why I was figuring out if just alittle fondant would be ok in the fridge or just keep it out instead? If I make sure my AC.is on the whole time.. Just dont want the fondant decorations to get ruined in the fridge. But also dont want my icing to get ruined out of the fridge :/ im stuck in a situation lol

TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 21

Why do you need to put it in the fridge? Are you using a filling or cooked icing that needs to be kept in the fridge?

You will get varied answers on fondant in the fridge. I think it totally depends on where you live and the climate. Where I live is totally humid, so anything that comes out of the fridge quickly forms condensation. Fondant and condensation do not always get along. Moisture can make fondant melt.

CassDesigns Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 4:20pm
post #13 of 21

Its only buttercream icing on a marble cake.. I make the icing.. So I guess I can keep it out, it should be ok. N just let her jnow to keep it out also due to the fondant icing.. Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.. Never worked with fondant so I just wamted to mske sure I dont ruin the cake lol..

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 21

I've made lots of buttercream cakes with fondant accents, just attach with some water or vanilla. They hold on the side fine. And, yes, I put these cakes into the fridge. I don't put fondant COVERED cakes in the fridge though because because the condensation will cause a bubble to form under the fondant. You are fine to put the cake in the fridge with just fondant accents though. It's all good! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 4:43pm
post #15 of 21

And P.S. I'll actually be doing a cake just like this (buttercream with fondant diamonds on the side) next week. BUT, I use all shortening buttercream. I'm not sure how butter buttercream would hold up, maybe just use all shortening just in case.

CassDesigns Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 5:20pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks! I'll try the shortening buttercream. Never used that before.. Does it taste similar to the butter buttercream? Bc I love the taste of that lol

carmijok Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 5:28pm
post #17 of 21

That's all my cakes are. Buttercream with fondant and gumpaste decor. I even did a western cake...no rope border but I did conches with those leather look laces. For that I used a clay extruder. I highly recommend those.

If your buttercream is made with real butter (like mine) it will have to stay in the refrigerator until delivery. Deliver it cold in plenty of time for it to warm to room temp. Even when your buttercream softens the decor will still be OK provided it's not a HOT room where melting can occur.

When fondant is in the refrigerator it can go through a 'sticky' phase when you bring it out. It will eventually dry and as long as you don't touch it it should be fine. If this is a real concern to you then box your cake, wrap the box in Saran Wrap or even a garbage bag and store in the refrigerator. Then when you need to deliver let it come to room temp while still in the box to limit condensation issues. I've found that gum paste...when it is very dry and hard...does not go through the same condensation issues...at least when it's a short term situation in the fridge.

cakelady2266 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 5:55pm
post #18 of 21

You can use fondant accents on all shortening buttercream, buttercreams with butter added, chocolate, or cream cheese icing with no refrigeration required. You don't want them to be super thick though. You can attach freshly cut pieces (stripes, diamonds, dots or any cut out) with water. Dried pieces can be attached using buttercream icing.

Almost all the cake photos I have in my galleries are buttercream with fondant accents attached. Don't sweat it, it can be done.

carmijok Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:05pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassDesigns

Thanks! I'll try the shortening buttercream. Never used that before.. Does it taste similar to the butter buttercream? Bc I love the taste of that lol

No. emphatically no. Shortening IMO is a lighter texture...doesn't have that same creamy mouth-feel or flavor that butter has. Now, I personally have never mixed butter with shortening, so I don't know how that tastes, but I would think it would be better than shortening alone. (I know a lot of you swear by shortening and if your customers love it, that's great...I just don't...personal preference). I know it holds up well in warm weather situations because it doesn't melt.

cakelady2266 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:17pm
post #20 of 21

The in your mouth feel of shortening based buttercream is a little different. But the flavor can be enhanced with the addition of clear butter flavoring (I'm a big user of Magic Line's butter vanilla flavor). If you use high ratio shortening instead of regular Crisco you won't have a greasy feel in your mouth. If you add butter to the shortening it won't be pure white, you can also color it just be cautious of blues and purples. Hope this helps.

CassDesigns Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:26pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks everyone! So helpful!
"cakelady2266"- your cakes are amazing! And you did all that with buttercream n fondant decorations? Wow incredible.. How did you store your cakes then? In the fridge or just left it out in room temp climate? I forgot about royal icing but I dont know if that would be better tio decorate with instead of fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%