"clear Coating" A Cake Decoration

Decorating By Sugarfuse Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 3:54pm by smbegg

Sugarfuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarfuse Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! Love this forum.

For halloween I've made some sugar skulls (sugar, water & meringue powder) and covered them in the rainbow disco dust. To apply the disco dust I painted the skulls with a little bit of water and sprinkled on the dust. They're beautiful, but whenever handling them some of the disco dust comes off.

Any ideas on how to "clear coat" the dust - or apply it differently so that so much doesn't come off?

Obviously, the skulls aren't intended for consumption, but they will be placed on a cake or cupcakes.

Thanks!

3 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 4

I use a spray edible lacquer to give my gumpaste flowers a shine and protection. I haven't given it much thought as to whether it would keep disco dust in place. As it is a lacquer, I suppose it might.
The spray is rather expensive and I have used the liquid applied with a brush, but I would think that the brush application would counter the result you are wanting.

Anyway, that's my two-cents' worth. Good luck.

Jan

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 4

That spray lacquer is really pricey. I'm sure I don't get the same results, but for the few pieces I've made where I just want to set the dust/colors I just use my pan release spray. It does not absorb into stuff very easy and in your case I don't think it would melt your royal, especially if you spray it on some parchment 1st then use a paint brush to dab where you want it. Heck of a lot cheaper, especially if this is a one-time thing that you need it for.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 4

There is edible glaze that used on my guitar cake. It dries clear and leaves a shiney top coat.

The other thing is to paint with vodka as it dries quickly. Water likes to dissolve sugar, so it is probably making the skulls gummy and that is why the dust is coming off.

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%