How Do I Keep Buttercream From Falling Under Fondant?

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 9:27pm by letsgetcaking

letsgetcaking Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 3

I've had this problem a few times. I cannot figure out how to keep the sides of the cake looking straight after it is covered in fondant. The cake starts out looking fine, but after several hours, the top of the cake is smaller than the bottom...I think because the buttercream is falling down slightly under the fondant. Could you tell me how to prevent this from happening?

Here's the buttercream recipe I usually use:

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

I use real butter, usually add another tablespoon of milk so the frosting will spread easier, and add a dash of salt.

I also let the cake settle after I put the crumb coat on for a few hours. Then I spread on about 1/2 inch frosting, then add the fondant.

Could you please tell me if I am doing something wrong here? Is it my recipe? Is the frosting too thick? How long should I wait after adding the main coat of frosting before adding the fondant?

Thank you for any advice you can share.

2 replies
CakeItGood Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 3

That's a good question ... it's one that I have struggled with recently as well. For some reason, only my cakes in the last 1-2 months have had this problem. I almost wonder if there has been some change to the powdered sugar that we use. It seems like the buttercream is too soft.

Two ideas. Check the humidity in your home, make sure your cake is very cool before applying the fondant. Also, try less buttercream under the fondant. I use closer to 1/4 - 1/3".

Try this recipe:

1/2 cup sweetex, 1/2 cup butter, 2 pounds sugar, 1/2 cup (minus 2 tbsp) milk, 1/8 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp almond (or nordic cream).

HTH

letsgetcaking Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for your reply, 4bugzinarug! The cake was room temperature (about 70 degrees) when I covered it, so I'll definitely try chilling the cake next time.

How do you check the humidity in your home? If it is too humid, how do you fix that?

Thank you for sharing your buttercream recipe as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%