Icing A Cupcake

Baking By Kimzie Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 3:56pm by rlowry03

Kimzie Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys,

I know, this may be a silly question, but I wanted to get some advise or tips on icing a cupcake. Which is the best route to go? what tip works best? Is there a special technique? I have a large order coming up and want to make them look fantastic!!

4 replies
Sugarfuse Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Kimzie.

One popular method that I love is to use a 1M tip. It gives a beautiful ruffled look & its easy to apply so its perfect when you have to decorate a bunch of cupcakes.

I start by piping a 1-2 tall column in the center of the cupcake straight up. Then I swirl around the center column getting a little over the edge when you start.

Hope that helps a little. =)

Torimomma Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 5

The 1M tip is good and so is the 2D for cupcakes. For mine, I start in the middle and pipe a spiral out to the edge going counterclockwise and stop. That will give you a "rose swirl". Then to back and make a swirl on top of the rose clockwise, ending in a peak.
I just did some cupcake in my gallery using both tips. The pink used 1M and the purple used 2D.

rlowry03 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 5

1M and 2D make very pretty swirls on cupcakes. I tend to do buttercream flowers on cupcakes as well. Roses are pretty. There are some absolutely beautiful hydrangea cupcakes on the Glorious Treats and Southern Cottage Cakery blogs that were super easy. I have to order fondant, so I tend to stick with buttercream for most things and this dresses the cupcakes up a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%