Too Much Coffee Flavor In Chocolate Cake

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 9:59pm by rlowry03

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:06am
post #1 of 8

I tried a new chocolate cake recipe tonight. Overall it was very good. It was nice and moist, good crumb, good chocolate flavor although there could be a little more. It's a recipe that calls for brewed coffee as it's liquid. I know that coffee is supposed to bring out the chocolate flavor, but I found the coffee flavor to be very prominent in the finished product. I don't like coffee, so I really didn't like that. Is there a way to keep a good chocolate flavor without the coffee taste? Can I substitute just water, or milk, or water down the coffee?

7 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:36am
post #2 of 8

I'd water down the coffee. I worked for an old german baker when I was a kid , he used to put in coffee grounds for the same purpose I could never taste the coffee.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:05am
post #3 of 8

I always adjust the coffee to compliment the chocolate cake, so just weaken it.

rlowry03 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you. I wasn't sure how it would affect it. I need a good basic chocolate recipe. Of course I could always add this new chocolate coffee flavor to the menu! Anyone know how to make mocha or coffee flavored smbc? I'm wondering if adding instant coffee powder would work or if they wouldn't dissolve. If I use liquid coffee won't it mess up the texture of the smbc?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 8

rlowry, I make mocha FBC. I use Medaglia D'Oro, a great espresso powder endorsed by celebrity chefs. I dissolve it in a tsp of very hot water. This gives the flavor intensity without the added liquid. In FBC, the hot water is a method I use for shine and smoothness. It also provides that great medium for incorporating the espresso powder. When the coffee flavor is the featured flavor, I think it is important to use the finest ingredient to develop that flavor.

Medaglia D'Oro is available on Amazon if you can't find it locally. Check Italian markets.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 8

I also have a good chocolate recipe that uses coffee as it's liquid. It has a very strong coffee flavor when it is fresh, but after it cools the flavor of the coffee is hardly noticeable. You may want to keep that in mind as you adjust.

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 8

What about trying flavored coffee? There are plenty out there that taste like dessert. Just a thought.

rlowry03 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by katboss

What about trying flavored coffee? There are plenty out there that taste like dessert. Just a thought.

I'll have to try this. I was wondering early if I could put creamer in the coffee to equal the same amount of liquid. It would cut the strong taste, might be yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%