Found A Chocolate Cake That I Love But.....

Baking By sberryp Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 3:07am by SweetDreams_DK

sberryp Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:11am
post #1 of 10

I don't even like chocolate cake, but at a baby shower, I found one that I loved!! I asked the lady for the recipe and she gave it to me. There were cupcakes at the baby shower. So I have a a couple of questions. Since the recipe is for cupcakes can I use it for a cake? (duh, I think this is a yes, just asking because I am not sure). Another question I have is if it says it can only last for 3 days covered, will it be okay to freeze and take on a long delivery? Here is the recipe if you need to check out the ingredients.

1 1/2 cup of ap flour
1 1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/2 ts baking soda
3/4 ts baking powder
3/4 ts salt
2 l eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup of buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ts of pure vanilla extract

One more question..if it makes 24 cupcakes, what size cake will it make?

9 replies
rlowry03 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:18am
post #2 of 10

I don't know about turning it into a cake, I usually try turning cakes into cupcakes (not always with the greatest results) but I'd say it's worth a try! You should have no problem freezing the cake.

aej6 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:24am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

I don't even like chocolate cake, but at a baby shower, I found one that I loved!! I asked the lady for the recipe and she gave it to me. There were cupcakes at the baby shower. So I have a a couple of questions. Since the recipe is for cupcakes can I use it for a cake? (duh, I think this is a yes, just asking because I am not sure). Another question I have is if it says it can only last for 3 days covered, will it be okay to freeze and take on a long delivery? Here is the recipe if you need to check out the ingredients.

1 1/2 cup of ap flour
1 1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/2 ts baking soda
3/4 ts baking powder
3/4 ts salt
2 l eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup of buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ts of pure vanilla extract

One more question..if it makes 24 cupcakes, what size cake will it make?




Making it as a cake and freezing it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I have to ask, though...Where is the chocolate?

cakestyles Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:30am
post #4 of 10

I was just going to say this doesn't look like a chocolate cake recipe to me. icon_biggrin.gif

Karen421 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:36am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

I was just going to say this doesn't look like a chocolate cake recipe to me. icon_biggrin.gif




I was going to say the same thing! LOL Where's the cocoa?? icon_biggrin.gif

sberryp Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #6 of 10

I am so sorry 3/4 cup of Dark cocoa. lol

sberryp Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:41am
post #7 of 10

So do you know what size cake will it make if it makes 24 cupcakes?

cakestyles Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:43am
post #8 of 10

To me it looks like a 1 layer yield...my guess would be 9" round, maybe 10"

sberryp Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:53am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

To me it looks like a 1 layer yield...my guess would be 9" round, maybe 10"


Thanks! Do you think it will be ok for more than a 2 days out?

SweetDreams_DK Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:07am
post #10 of 10

Generally a recipe that makes 24 cupcakes will make two 9" rounds (just under 2" high). My guess is that this recipe will be fine as a cake, though I would definitely bake it ahead of time to see how it does. The worst problem you'll have if it doesn't work is structure: it might sink in the middle. And yes, freeze it. They say that you can generally freeze the layers, double wrapped in plastic wrap for 1 month, but I just took a chocolate cake layer out that I had forgotten I had put in the freezer around the 1st of July, and it tastes great! (We're just snacking on it tonight.)

Since I'm only a hobbiest, I never have time to bake and assemble my cakes at the same time. I always bake at least a week ahead and freeze the components separately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%