Fondant/gumpaste Figurines Help!

Decorating By JBNY13 Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 12:35am by howsweet

JBNY13 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:09am
post #1 of 21

Hi,

I am making figurines. Is it best to use gumpaste or fondant? I've mixed them both and liked the consistency, but wanted to know what others thought. Also the party is on Oct. 1st, could I start making it by Tuesday?

Thanks for your help!

20 replies
Vista Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:38am
post #2 of 21

I always use gumpaste for figurines. It dries so much harder than fondant. I would definitely start them early. The longer they have to dry the better.

icer101 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:22am
post #3 of 21

I use g/p and fondant mix. 50-50. Yes, you can make them way before you need them. Let dry good. I put them in a container , until i need them. or a large drawer of some kind. hth

JBNY13 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:38am
post #4 of 21

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll start tomorrow because for one cake I'm making a rolex watch and I have to paint it with silver lustre dust and I have a feeling everything will need time to dry plus I figure I'll need to do numerous coats.

Thanks again!

mbark Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:39am
post #5 of 21

personally I don't like gumpaste, I use the Wilton fondant for figures which dries pretty firm.

JBNY13 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:41am
post #6 of 21

Sounds good. I'll play around and see what works best. Great advice!!!

athenarose Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 8:23am
post #7 of 21

I usually go with gumpaste but I have been branching out to fondant to save some $$. How are you placing the figurings I think really determines what to use. Are they people standing, sitting, full bodies or just the top half.

CocoaBlondie Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:20am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

personally I don't like gumpaste, I use the Wilton fondant for figures which dries pretty firm.

I use this as well. Depending on how much time you'll be putting into the sculpting, the fondant will give you more working time. Gumpaste is great for flowers though.

aprilismaius Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 21

I use fondant plus tylose powder for my figure modelling.

me_me1 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 21

If I need something sturdy but something that will remain pliable while I'm modelling it I use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste & fondant.
If I want something rock hard that dries quickly I use gumpaste.
For little things that don't need to be too sturdy I use fondant or modelling chocolate.
For something that tastes nice I use modelling chocolate, sometimes mixed with fondant.

MarianInFL Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 21

I always use 50-50. But every time I make a figurine, it has cracks in it. I can't even roll a ball without cracks. Anyone have a suggestion to fix that?

Vista Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianInFL

I always use 50-50. But every time I make a figurine, it has cracks in it. I can't even roll a ball without cracks. Anyone have a suggestion to fix that?

I use crisco on my hands while I am working with g/p. It helps keep it soft a little longer and keeps cracking down to a minimum.

EricasCakeCreations Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 21

I had to make figures this past week, and also played around with things. I love how gumpaste dries, but as your working with it, it tends to crack and not look so neat. I tried the mixture of fondant and gumpaste, and definitely liked the look better. The only problem with mixing fondant in, or using just fondant alone, is it might not dry as quick and hard as gumpaste will. If you decide to use just gumpaste, you will want to use a good amount of crisco when needed to keep it smoother.

JBNY13 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:23pm
post #14 of 21

I use shortening as well which helps with the cracks. I put in on my work area and hands. I also sprinkle cornstarch for gumpaste and powdered sugar for fondant.
For one cake my figurine will be laying down (a hunter tied up) and the other figurine will be a deer (the one who is doing the tying up). For the other cake it'll be a rolex watch. I think most of you are saying 50/50. Does that sound okay for the above mentioned figurines?

howsweet Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 21

Gumpaste is so dry that it's not worth using except when absolutely necessary. Mix about 2 level teaspoons tylose powder in with one pound fondant and it's a dream to work with and dries very hard.

Take care when making items in advance that they they are kept out of the light, as colors can fade. Especially pinks and purples.

LenaMay Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:20pm
post #16 of 21

I have had terrible luck with gumpaste. I love working with fondant. However, I've never tried Tyclose powder...where do you buy it?

gmfcakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:36pm
post #17 of 21

I usually get the Tylose Poweder at the local cake supply store.

Coral3 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:15am
post #18 of 21

Fondant with gum tragacanth powder added works well. About 1tsp gum trag per 500g fondant.

Price Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:54am
post #19 of 21

I like to use Satin Ice Fondant with 1/2 tsp. tylose powder to 1/2 lb. fondant. To help prevent the cracks make sure your fondant is well kneaded before you start to make your figure. I agree a very thin coating of crisco on your hands will help to roll a smooth ball. I think it takes practice and you just have to try different things to see what works best for you. For me, pure gumpaste hardens too quickly.

My Grandsons love eating the figures so when I am making figures for a kids cake I try to make them from pure fondant when I can. Fondant being soft has a tendancy to squish down so you have to be sure to use extra support while you are waiting for it to dry and it will definitely take longer to dry.

I'm just starting a new project with figures. Last night I prepped the fondant. (added tylose powder & colored) I can't wait to get started. I love it when the ideas in my head start to come to life! icon_biggrin.gif

JBNY13 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:57am
post #20 of 21

Thanks! Great advice!

howsweet Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:35am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Fondant with gum tragacanth powder added works well. About 1tsp gum trag per 500g fondant.

That's good to know! I have some gum tragacanth powder and could have used it when I ran out of tylose last month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%