Freezing Chocolate Cake For An Ice Cream Cake?

Baking By scrappyruth Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 10:24pm by Marianna46

scrappyruth Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:35am
post #1 of 2

For my birthday back in July I made a cookies and cream ice cream cake. Homemade chocolate cake with homemade oreo ice cream and vanilla buttercream. I made the ice cream/cake, froze them both in their respective pans, assembled, froze, frosted, froze, you get the idea. The cake overall was good, yet the cake itself had somewhat of a strange texture. It seemed to have lost the normal moistness that it would have had if not frozen. It tasted almost like raw batter that was frozen instead of baked. I didn't mind too much, but was a little annoyed.
Well now it's present day, and I'm making the same type of cake, but for my boss' 11 year old birthday. I'd prefer for the cake to not be weird or have a strange texture. I've googled some information and have noted that the higher fat content, the easier and better is to freeze. Is there any truth to this statement? And if so, does anyone know of a great chocolate cake recipe that freezes well? I'd prefer to avoid any box mixes.

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 2

Cakes will dry out in the freezer if they're not perfectly airtight (lots of layers of plastic wrap, but not so tight as to deform the cake). When I freeze my cakes this way, I don't notice any appreciable difference between them and those I don't freeze. If I freeze them while they're still quite warm, they're even more moist, strangely enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%