My First Cake Wreck In 25 Years!

Decorating By tokazodo Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 3:09pm by mayo2222

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 10

Everything was going fine until I hammered the center dowel. For some reason, it didn't want to go into the top cake circle of the bottom tier. I hammered harder and that only messed up the cake further. I quickly pulled all three tier apart to figure the problem. In the process, the middle tier disintegrated. I wanted to cry and vomit all at the same time. I was pacing the floor. I couldn't think. The cake was due in about an hour. I called the chef at the venue (a friend) and he talked me through it. I told him what the cakes looked like and he felt as if the bottom
tier could be saved. I started filling the crater with bc and Spackled the small cracks with bc.
The bottom tier didn't look to bad with a fresh coat of buttercream. After all, there were poly dowel supports in it and there would be a cake circle sitting on them. Luckily, I had a spare 7" chocolate layer in the freezer. I was able to redo that no problem. The top tier was salvageable too. So, after my mini nervous break down, I was able to refocus. I refused to cry or vomit, I simply did not have the time. I arrived at the venue with a 3 tier wedding cake just as the couple were getting ready to get married. I am glad to day is over!

Photos of the wreck: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2164199

Photos of final, fixed finished cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2164213

9 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 10

Well, you sure pulled that one out of the fire! Your final cake looks great. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to pull that off, and it's one of my worst nightmares. You done good, kid!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 10

Great save!

Now, may I suggest SPS?

tokazodo Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 10

Leah_s...I was thinking of you this whole time! I knew you were going to say that! I will consider it in the future! icon_wink.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 10

LOL!

I don't mean to laugh, but I loved the first pic with the carnage and your glasses lying there in the middle of everything! It turned out great!

tokazodo Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:25am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

LOL!

I don't mean to laugh, but I loved the first pic with the carnage and your glasses lying there in the middle of everything! It turned out great!

I have a sense of humor. I too laughed when I saw my reading glasses in the photo.

My glasses were laying there because that is where I threw them as I looked on in shock and disgust over the mess I had made! After a few choice words and a few phone calls for support, I got a game plan. My good friend came running and said, "What do you need me to do, do you need a shoulder to cry on?" I said, "Idk...no time for tears, but I do feel like I want to vomit in my shoes!"

When I got back from delivering the cake, I returned to find my friend washing my dishes and cleaning up my mess.
That's a true friend. Willing to get down and dirty with you when the chips are down.
CC has removed the 'cake wreck', photo and only left the final photo. The reason was because they only keep 'decorated cakes'. There was buttercream on the cake, so I don't know what is indeed deemed, 'decorated'. I just thought we could all learn from my mistake.
Oh well... icon_confused.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:41am
post #7 of 10

Well you should be proud that you were able to recover from that! It turned out great so take it easy and relax until the next one!

Annie

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 10

Say, tokazodo, if they removed your wrecked cake, why do they have a section called "Cake Disasters"? Also, thank goodness for real friends, right? I want to both have one and be one. I'm still in awe of your save!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 10

So where did they put the wrecked version of your cake!??! UGH Can you maybe post it as an additional photo next to the finished cake please! I wanna see!!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 10

Yeah couldn't they have just moved the photo to the cake wreck section?

Either way I am glad everything turned out alright!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%