I'm About To Give Up...

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 11:33pm by Ursula40

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 6

I'm thinking it may almost be time to hang up my apron icon_sad.gif

yes, i am a home baker and only do these cakes on the side...for little money and i've heard the whole spiel from everyone on here icon_redface.gif sorry, just can't hear it now.

but our area is getting OVER saturated! icon_cry.gif every time i turn around to even offer my FREE services i get "my aunt or my friend is making our cake". it's starting to get a little ridiculous! icon_mad.gif

I would love to continue, but it almost seems impossible with everyone thinking they can be a cake decorator! And while i totally know that my services and product, on top of the talent and love i have for cake decorating, would be exceptional compared to that "friend" that is just starting out...it just gets me down and makes me sooo frustrated.

I had two orders in the bag this week...was going to do consultations this weekend and then either the "friend" offered up their help icon_razz.gif or the person found someone closer to them to do it! of course they wont go for me now! and all i'm wanting is to keep perfecting what I'm doing/gaining more skills...and i can't even do that with handing out free cakes icon_cry.gif

I don't know how others are handling things in their area or if it's even going the same. but in the midwest it seems that everyone, plus their mom, plus their friend is a cake decorator and/or can do it themselves.

what do you do when you get stopped at every turn you make?

heartbroken,
Stephanie

5 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 6

Guess it's time to step back and wait for the first ones, who used to order from you, get the other cakes. Perhaps a little vacation time is good, perhaps some of them need to see, what the other cakes are like, before comimng back to you. I'm doing less cakes now as well, because I had to raise my rpices, and many think I'm too expensive. Ha! Just because I live in Chna, a lot think I should be cheap, well I will not compete with the chemical laden cakes out here and quite honestly, if they are not willing to pay, I have time for other crafts. I getting very good at making icecream, the last two my daughter nad friends said were better than Haagen Dasz, trying out new gourmet desserts for family, new ways of cooking and now am working on a project making cute chalkboards for children and kitchens.

Ursula40 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 6

Ughh cannot upload attachment, but will upload into my Flickr stream, take a look

step0nmi Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 6

ursula, you're probably right. but it's so few and far between to wait on past customers and friends icon_sad.gif actually, my one really good customers had two cakes booked and then it "seems" that her husband may have either lost his job or quit (wow!) but then i saw they went to Disney so...PRIORITIES icon_lol.gif

i think it's also the fact that fall/winter is heading in on us and I am not wanting to give up on that time...i have been thinking about trying other things....but without a good enough job to just do some experimenting right now is hard for me to move forward.

ursula...i'm glad to hear you are sticking to your guns...same as me icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

Ughh cannot upload attachment, but will upload into my Flickr stream, take a look

LOVE YOUR ANGRY BIRDS CAKE! thumbs_up.gif

Ursula40 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 6

At least the customers who are ordering are lovin the cakes and also choosing the more complicated and fun designs. I have become so tired of the same old things. Prices went up, and the designs that are being booked are more fun.
Yeah my customers have money for party planners and venues here, but if it comes to feeding the children, most want to go the cheap way and load them up with chemicals AND because out here they have to have jobs, otherwise no visas, they all can afford to go on vacation. But for a cake, no money left, drives me UP THE WALL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%