Dipping Cake Pops

Sugar Work By LisaStephens Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 12:11am by BlakesCakes

LisaStephens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaStephens Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 11

ok, so I can make the cake pops, make them stay on the sticks, but I don't have much luck with the chocolate that you dip them in. I have only tried the Wilton candy melts, but it seems that it is too thick to just "dip" the cake pops in. What kind of chocolate is best for dipping? Something that is actually thin enough to dip and pull the cake back out. And any other tips welcomed, thanks

10 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 11

you thin the candy melts out with vegetable shortening. After you melt them, add a little shortening and stir til its all melted. Its thin enough when you move the small spatula back and forth rapidly and you get little waves or ripples.

LisaStephens Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 11

I tried adding veg oil, only about a tsp or two. So, is that not enough? I had 1 1/2 bags of the candy melts that I melted.

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 11

My pops are cracking too much and it never happened before. I am making sure that my pops are not too cold and candy is not too hot but still...help.

LisaStephens Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 11

I did put my cake pops in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes and this really helped firm them up, but not too much. I was in a hurry, my daughter's friend was wanting to sample them for an upcoming event so I was short on time.They tasted great, if I can just get the dipping chocolate right icon_sad.gif

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 11

Dont put my pops in the freezer. I freeze the cake first. then let it thaw and roll my pops out then (before any cooling because the pops are still cold) i dip the sitck in the chocolate then the cake ball it gets stiff right then and there. Then I place half in the fridge (not freezer) and dip the other half. I then switch and put the dipped pops in the fridge while I dip the second half. They only need to stay in about 5 minutes. I haven't had a melted pops or a pop fall off the stick since I started doing it that way. I also thin my melts with shortening

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 11

dont use oil, use vegetable shortening, and I add it a spoonful at a time until I get the ripples when I move my spatula back and forth in it quickly, thats how I tell its thin enough. And if you dip really cold cake balls in, it will get hard too quick. I too dip my sticks in the chocolate. I put them in the fridge long enough so the chocolate that is around the stick thats in the cake is firm, then I take them out and dip them.

LisaStephens Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 11

ok, I will try veg shortening next time, thanks.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 11

Paramount Crystals work even better than veg shortening. They are cocoa butter.

LisaStephens Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 11

I just googled the Paramount Crystals, sounds exactly like what I need, thank you so much for the suggestion thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:11am
post #11 of 11

Adding shortening or veg. oil causes the chocolate to stay soft & dull when set.

Adding paramount crystals allows the chocolate to retain its snap & shine when set.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%