Straight Edges

Decorating By doublen28 Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 8:59pm by doublen28

doublen28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublen28 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 4

hi all!
This is my first post. I'm trying to figure out how to get the top edges of my cakes angled nicely. Not necessarily for sqauare cakes but for round cakes. I feel like my top corners are too rounded. And that being more a right angle looks more professional.
Thank you so much!
Erinn

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 4

Well, the first thing you have to do is bake your cake in a pan that has nice sharp edges. Most non-commercial pans have edges that are somewhat rounded and sides that angle out just a tiny bit. The next thing is practicing with buttercream or ganache to get your edges nice and sharp. For a round cake, a turntable and a bench scraper are great for getting crisp edges. Hope that helps some!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:32am
post #3 of 4

Sharon Zambito's DVD on buttercream cakes is extremely helpful. I'll share what I do.

I ice the tops first just the buttercream up there. Using my sewing gauge, I determine the height of my icing to make sure that the top of the cake will be nicely covered (no thin spots). Since I use SPS, I want the final height between 4 and 4 1/4" tall. Keep the measurement on the sewing gauge.

Then I ice the sides, make sure that the icing on the side goes above the icing on top. I then smooth the sides. Once the sides I smooth, I get out the sewing gauge again and mark a line around the top of the cake. Using my bench scraper, I start at the line I marked and remove excess icing from the top of the cake. Once I smooth the top of my cake, they are perfectly straight. It might sound a little confusing so feel free to ask questions.

doublen28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublen28 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks to both of you. I'll have to try those things out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%