Storefront Grand Opening Saturday

Business By KayMc Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 7:22pm by KayMc

KayMc Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 8

Yesterday I was at a street fair in a small town. There was also a grand opening of a cupcake store in this town. Perfect location: right on the main street, close to the main intersection. I was excited to go try one out, as I've been hungry for a good cupcake. (as a hobbyist, I only bake if I have a specific reason. I don't want cake sitting around, as it will soon be in my stomach).

I went in the store - cute little store, just perfect for a cupcake business. I'm thinking that this person really had a fabulous thing here. Then I tasted the cupcake. They were smaller than a normal cupcake - not a mini cupcake, but smaller than normal cupcakes. I got a chocolate with PB frosting. I can't tell you how disappointed I was. The cake was DRY. And a dry cupcake is a disaster. The PB frosting had barely any PB taste. The frosting wasn't bad, it just wasn't that good.

I was terribly disappointed. To me, a cupcake should be moist and deliscious. And the frosting should be GREAT. This wasn't worth the calories.

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 8

There *are some* people out there that like dry cake icon_sad.gif It's their loss not to have a good tasting, moist cuppie.
Sorry you were sooooo disappointed.

MimiFix Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 8

This new business will learn and do a better job, or lose customers.

I love bakeries and always stop in to look and buy anything that seems interesting. If you own (or plan on starting) a business, it's called market research. Save your receipts, purchases are tax deductible. More often than not I've been disappointed with some products.

I blog about my bakery tours. I try not to write anything mean or be too hard on them, but occasionally I feel the necessity of warning my readers. Some bakeries are so awful I don't write anything.

pj22 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 8

Wow... I didn't know that these visits are tax deductible!! BTW, the All Good Bakers business model on your website seems interesting!!

scp1127 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 8

I must be a Mimi clone. I keep a full review of the flavors, prices, and the taste, plus box or mix. So far mostly mix and ABC. All receipts are saved for taxes, thankfully, as most of the cupcakes go in the trash.

MimiFix Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

All receipts are saved for taxes, thankfully, as most of the cupcakes go in the trash.

We need to start writing our comments on the receipts. If we're ever audited, the agent might get the idea to investigate the place as a fraudulent "bakery" business. icon_lol.gif

scp1127 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 8

Mimi, I rarely get a receipt for the same place twice. And believe me, I would love to have a great place for baked goods. So I guess we better keep our weight down so our tax deductions don't look like a bad habit.

I wrote on another thread today, there is a vegan baker that is a magician. She is the only one I will purchase from personally. She's pricey and she is worth it.

KayMc Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 8

Kakeladi, you know how you get something in your head, that you crave for a few weeks until you satisfy the longing? That's how it was with having that cupcake yesterday. I knew of the store's opening, and hadn't had cake in a couple of months. I was DYING for a tasty vanilla cupcake - in my head, my craving was for the white-on-white cake with SMBC. And, I'm STILL craving it...... icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%