Would Anyone Know Why My Colored Sfp Wont Set Hard?

Decorating By Crazy-Gray Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 3:23pm by jennifercullen

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:28am
post #1 of 5

I am finding that uncolored sfp is setting good and strong but coloring with sugarflair gel makes it set quite rubbery, even after 2 weeks drying... This has been fine for flowers but im making a gucci heel and it has to be strong- would gum trag help?
Hope you can help icon_smile.gif
Gray

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 5

sfp?

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry maybe its an english name- sugar flower paste or would you know it as gum paste?
I just did a tester with adding gum trag powder and it seems to have helped though it dulls the colour... I do use a little flavouless oil on my work top to stop it sticking when kneeding, i'm thinking that may be the problem?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5

oil would not be good at all. This is a medium that needs to be worked fast and dry.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 5

I have found this when using coloured fondant.t with gum trag/tylose added. I've not long started making model type things, at first I made my own gum paste but found it easier to just add the powder to fondant. White dries great, iv found its black that's the worst for it. I made a nurse grad cake this week and the white syringe was really hard after 4 days, but I had to use sticks to.support the thin square of black because it wasn't strong enough and my stethescope was still quite soft (black part anyway) I think your best bet would be to make your own for it to dry harder. Unless you need white, then the gum trag makes the colour quite dull.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%