Help With Upcoming Wedding Cake Please Take A Look

Decorating By labmom Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 10:56pm by Marianna46

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:17am
post #1 of 8

I have an odd wedding cake that i need to reproduce. only enough for 90 to 100 guests. It is not the cake that is gong to be a problem it is the way that it is decorated.

It is swirled and antiqued. It is going to be red fondant but what do you suggest i use to acomplish the swirls. I don't have many fondant cakes and the ones I have had have not had any frosting work on the sides.

Do you suggest royal icing? or buttercream.. i don't want it sliding down the sides.. and then the darker antique look should I do that first with food color rubbed on, or perhaps black air brush?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
A photo of the cake is in "my photo album" because i have no idea where the photo of this cake came from it was supplied by the bride. I will remove it from my photos once I get help from this post.

feel free to email me if necessary.

7 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:30am
post #2 of 8

If it was me I would use RI for the swirls and an airbrush to do the shading.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:36am
post #3 of 8

Are you sure it's covered in fondant? To me it looks like a buttercream cake that's been partially airbrushed with darker buttercream swirls piped on. I don't think using buttercream over fondant would be a problem if it's good and stiff. Royal icing, on the other hand, would be, because it dries hard and would fall apart when the cake was cut. Please let us see the finishsed cake, whatever you decide to do. I'm a loss at piping, so I try to avoid it no matter what, but if you're good at it, this could be a really spectacular cake.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 8

The cake is done by Rosebud Cakes it's gorgeous. I've piped buttercream over a fondant cake and it worked just fine. Here is a link to the cake

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14559934@N04/3857728442/in/set-72157602782542810

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 8

It does look like airbrushing- if you don't have an air brush I would try dry bushing with petal dust- make sure you practice on a spare peice of fondant first!!!

I think the sprays they sell might be a little too heavy- unless you hold the can pretty far away- I would definietly practice that technique also

Can't wait to see the finished product

Good Luck
Mo

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much for the information for everyone. I also thought it was buttercream not fondant but she wants fondant. I am going to practice this week with some extra fondant that I have. I would like to use buttercream for the scrolls, I never have too much luck with royal icing. Either to stiff or loose.

I never thought about luster dust only air brushing. but i like the luster dust idea... more control. i do have an air brush but it can spit sometimes and i don't want that.

i will keep you informed and post my photo after the 16th wedding.

thank you again.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 8

The lustre spray by PME is wonderful I used it to cover a large cake that had three tiers and six satellite cakes and one can was enough. Sprayed nice and smooth not spitting or spotting. I would personally use royal frosting as it is easier to remove and fix if you make an error. Especially if you are using black. Butter cream will smear and stain the fondant if you need to remove and fix something. Black Lustre Spray by PME I buy it at Fondant source.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 8

I hadn't noticed that the cake was on a base made to look like a record turntable. The cake artist says it turned slowly all night. How cool is that? The fondant (or whatever it is) seems to be one color, which may or may not be airbrushed, but the edges of the tiers and the joins between the tiers, seem to be airbrushed in either a darker version of that color or a light spritz of black. Whatever it is, I really liked this cake! Of course, Rosebud Cakes has some really outrageous designs. I just love to look at their stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%