Pinwheels?

Decorating By Karsn Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 11:09pm by Marianna46

Karsn Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 4:21am
post #1 of 17

I know how to make them, but for how long do they need to dry?
I will be using fondant with tylose added to it. And i want to put the pinwheels on top of a cake on sticks icon_smile.gif
Is 4 days enough? Thats all i have.

16 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 4:59am
post #2 of 17

I have never made them, so I can't give you an answer.

These three people made cakes with them on. Maybe you can PM them, if they don't show up to answer.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1909118

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2085209

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2103777

Karsn Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 5:14am
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I have never made them, so I can't give you an answer.

These three people made cakes with them on. Maybe you can PM them, if they don't show up to answer.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1909118

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2085209

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2103777




Oh yeah, thanks. Will do icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:18am
post #4 of 17

I've made things out of fondant and tylose to stand up on a cake and 4 days is plenty of time. If you want to be sure, though, I'd suggest you make them out of gumpaste or a 50-50 gumpaste/fondant mix, if you can.

Karsn Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:24am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I've made things out of fondant and tylose to stand up on a cake and 4 days is plenty of time. If you want to be sure, though, I'd suggest you make them out of gumpaste or a 50-50 gumpaste/fondant mix, if you can.



Great. Actually i will make them out of Pme Sugarpaste. But i still have to a tylose right?

Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:41am
post #6 of 17

Oh, dear, I'm at a loss. Transatlantic terminology always confuses me. Is sugarpaste the equivalent of fondant or gumpaste? Actually, if I remember correctly gumpaste is flower paste. So I'd say you should definitely add tylose and, if possible, some flower paste, if that's the right term. I'm telling you, I need to take a course in British!

afunk Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:55am
post #7 of 17

Hi Karsn,
I made the third pinwheel cake imagenthatnj listed. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2103777
Four days is plenty of time to dry, especially if you are adding tylose.
Also, I stuck my pinwheels on lollypop sticks with melted white chocolate (because it was a last minute decision). It worked fine except it was not the most pretty on the backside. I put them on the cake when I got to the party.
Good Luck and please share when you finish it!

Karsn Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 7:20am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by afunk

Hi Karsn,
I made the third pinwheel cake imagenthatnj listed. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2103777
Four days is plenty of time to dry, especially if you are adding tylose.
Also, I stuck my pinwheels on lollypop sticks with melted white chocolate (because it was a last minute decision). It worked fine except it was not the most pretty on the backside. I put them on the cake when I got to the party.
Good Luck and please share when you finish it!




I LOVE that cake Afunk! icon_smile.gif
It was the one that inspired me to try myself. Can you think of a better way of attaching the lolipop sticks to the pinwheels so they still look decent on the backside?

Im not gonna deliver the cake. They will pick it up themself and drive 50km to get to the party. Im a little worried. Not sure the pinwheels will survive the ride.

afunk Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:35am
post #9 of 17

Thanks!!
I'm thinking to attach the lollypop stick you could make your pinwheels and let them dry then attach the stick with a piece of fondant/gumpaste over the stick. Or put the fondant over the stick like a cap and let it dry then use water to glue it all together. Does any of that make sense??
Or do chocolate, just more carefully than I did! icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully someone else has some great advise.

Karsn Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 12:29pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by afunk

Thanks!!
I'm thinking to attach the lollypop stick you could make your pinwheels and let them dry then attach the stick with a piece of fondant/gumpaste over the stick. Or put the fondant over the stick like a cap and let it dry then use water to glue it all together. Does any of that make sense??
Or do chocolate, just more carefully than I did! icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully someone else has some great advise.




Yeah it makes sense icon_smile.gif thanks
I made a couple of test pinwheels. I want to make some striped ones like yours. So i used my extruder to press out some very thin pieces of sugarpaste and carefully rolled them out on the square of sugarpaste that was going to be the pinwheel... but i just couldn't get the stripes straight. How did you get such perfect stripes?

afunk Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 12:46pm
post #11 of 17

I rolled the stripes along the length to keep them as straight as possible. Then I put that on top of the solid color and rolled them together. Then I cut the square so I could pick the best looking area. I didn't cut the squares in line with the stripes because my stripes were not perfect either, I think it helps with the illusion! icon_lol.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 17

Afunk, that's the most amazing pinwheel cake I ever saw. It's so clean and perfect!

afunk Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 8:31pm
post #14 of 17

Thank you so much imagenthatnj!!

Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks for the link, imagenthatnj! That clears up my terminology problems and that's a really interesting blog, too. I put it in my favorites. All those pinwheel cakes are beautiful and look like great fun to make. I hope I get a chance to do it sometime. I agree, afunk, your cake is tres cool! And thanks for explaining how you got the striped effect - I was wracking my brain trying to figure it out. About the back of the pinwheel, I don't think there's any substitute for sticking dried elements together with chocolate, especially if they're a little heavy. But you could cut a star or a heart or even a circle out of fondant and put it over the chocolate to make it look nicer (THIS you can stick on with water or tylose glue, since it will still be moist).

imagenthatnj Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 9:26pm
post #16 of 17

You're welcome, Marianna46. FYI, Erica is also here on CC. This is her profile:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/user/EricaObrienCake/

I recently saw her cake on the last issue of Brides magazine. I don't really make cakes, but I'm in graphic design, so I like anything pretty and artsy. I bought the magazine. Now she has the story in her blog.

Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:09pm
post #17 of 17

And I'm more like Erica O'Brien (with a lot less talent, of course!) - I go through graphic (and any other) designs by the dozen looking for cake ideas! So thanks again for the link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%