Humidity Disaster

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 1:44am by BizCoCos

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:11pm
post #31 of 46

After what I've seen & smelled in commercial coolers, and knowing that most of them are rigged to deliberately have increased humidity, I'd still box every cake and then put the box in a large garbage bag.

Rae

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:01am
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

After what I've seen & smelled in commercial coolers, and knowing that most of them are rigged to deliberately have increased humidity, I'd still box every cake and then put the box in a large garbage bag.

Rae

LOL I'm sorry its really not funny but I can see all these bagged up wedding cakes. LOL. My luck, somebody would grab the bag and swing it down thinking it would work to carry a cake that way...

But yeah I hate commercial coolers....I'd eat a cake out of my home fridges ANY DAY....

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:31pm
post #33 of 46

kitagirl: one question. Where do you live? where we live the fridge may not have as much humidity in the winter, but if the fridge was outside it would become a freezer very quickly. I am glad that they are going to agree to let you charge a delivery and set up fee.

Kitagrl Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:34pm
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

kitagirl: one question. Where do you live? where we live the fridge may not have as much humidity in the winter, but if the fridge was outside it would become a freezer very quickly. I am glad that they are going to agree to let you charge a delivery and set up fee.

I'm in Phila/NJ area (Venue in NJ)....it doesn't really get THAT cold...I mean 20's is about as cold as it gets here, and not for long term.

Surely they could not keep produce and etc in it if it became a freezer, but I will certainly keep a lookout for it...thanks for the heads up!

I actually like to keep my home refrigerators very very cold, so that the thermometers are registering "freezing" but the food is not actually frozen...I like to be sure of my food safety. Actually one of my cake refrigerators is perfect for Cokes because it gets them cold enough to get a few specks of ice crystals inside but nothing more. YEAH. haha. The only thing is I have to turn it up if I do ganache, because the cold temps make ganache crack...I've found the hard way...

jules5000 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:48pm
post #35 of 46

Kitagirl, you are blessed then. We have much colder temperatures here in the ,midwest. It is not very sustaining for long periods of time, but here with the chill factor added in it can be as low as -20. It would be disastrous to put a fridge outside unless you wanted it to act like a second freezer. I have a fridge in our garage as the moving men could not fit it inside where we wanted it(in our basement) and that was the only place in the house there was room for it. Even being in the garage it was cold enough to freeze most everything I put in it last winter except my jar of maraschino cherries. God bless you.

Kitagrl Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:50pm
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

Kitagirl, you are blessed then. We have much colder temperatures here in the ,midwest. It is not very sustaining for long periods of time, but here with the chill factor added in it can be as low as -20. It would be disastrous to put a fridge outside unless you wanted it to act like a second freezer. I have a fridge in our garage as the moving men could not fit it inside where we wanted it(in our basement) and that was the only place in the house there was room for it. Even being in the garage it was cold enough to freeze most everything I put in it last winter except my jar of maraschino cherries. God bless you.

I used to live in the midwest! Born in Indiana, and lived in central Iowa, and then finished off my childhood in Rapid City, SD (loved it there!!!) One time in Rapid City we had windchills of -70 degrees. Brutal. So yeah I can understand freezers not working so great out there! When we moved here I thought it would be colder and snowier but I think we are so close to the ocean that it sort of tempers that, at least for awhile. The ocean temps don't get cold enough to sustain a good snowstorm until Dec/Jan or so, generally speaking.

jules5000 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:20pm
post #37 of 46

This is as cold as I want to ever go, voluntarily, that is. The advantage to our winters is that you can always pile more on to get warm or be comfortable, but in the summer you can only take so much off to be decent in public so I hibernate as much as possible in the summer. We have a lot of shade around our house and even at that we had about 3 weeks that it was so unbearably hot that when you walked out the door it would take your breath away. I turn around and go back inside or quickly get to my car if I am going somewhere and turn the AC on high. So those in the midwest or those who have lived in the midwest understand our weather here. God bless you all.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:51pm
post #38 of 46

I would do a trial run in the winter with a small cake to make sure you don't have any problems before you assume the problem will be fixed and store a person's wedding cake in the fridge again.

Better to be safe than sorry.

jules5000 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 7:04pm
post #39 of 46

I think that is a great suggestion cai0311.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 7:52pm
post #40 of 46

I agree with the box suggestion too. I can't understand not boxing up your cakes. Having them exposed to the elements and dirt and dust... just not good all around. I use shipping boxes too and they are great and very sturdy. Even if you do set them up one at a time with delivery each time, I'd think about boxing them. Would you buy food that was sitting out at the store uncovered? I know I wouldn't buy it, and I am probably the least germaphobic person in the world.

They don't get soggy in my fridge, and I have had them boxed up in walk-in's before too with no complaints.

No matter what though you are making a good decision to not trust that fridge. Walk-ins are humid places, and I hate the thought of cakes near garlic and other smells that linger in them.

Kitagrl Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 8:24pm
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

I agree with the box suggestion too. I can't understand not boxing up your cakes. Having them exposed to the elements and dirt and dust... just not good all around. I use shipping boxes too and they are great and very sturdy. Even if you do set them up one at a time with delivery each time, I'd think about boxing them. Would you buy food that was sitting out at the store uncovered? I know I wouldn't buy it, and I am probably the least germaphobic person in the world.

They don't get soggy in my fridge, and I have had them boxed up in walk-in's before too with no complaints.

No matter what though you are making a good decision to not trust that fridge. Walk-ins are humid places, and I hate the thought of cakes near garlic and other smells that linger in them.

I wouldn't even know HOW to box a heavy cake without slitting the sides and then retaping...which I've done before...but prefer not to.

The cakes stay safe in my several cake-only fridges at home....and then I line my minivan with plush towels with my business name embroidered on it, so its only for cakes, nothing else....so really they do not get any more "dust and germs" on them, than a regular cake would sitting out during a party.

The walk in is a different story though.

(I do box up cakes that are being picked up...however cakes going straight from my fridge to a venue/display table, I don't feel are in need of boxing. Just personally! Boxing is great though if that's how you do it!)

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 9:10pm
post #42 of 46

Is there anything you can do to the friges to get the humidy down, I have the same trouble, I needed extra fridge space and had to put it in our garage. Water droplets on the cakes very frustrating.

Kitagrl Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 9:11pm
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2create

Is there anything you can do to the friges to get the humidy down, I have the same trouble, I needed extra fridge space and had to put it in our garage. Water droplets on the cakes very frustrating.

I don't have the trouble at home, just in the commercial walk ins.... I think its because its in your garage and more humidity gets in when you open it...?

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 10:38pm
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Exactly! As you probably figured out by my earlier posts, I completely agree with you.

I too wouldn't put an un-boxed cake in a commercial cooler...too many things can go wrong. One of which was the subject of this thread.

Kitagrl Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:31am
post #45 of 46

Thought I should update...my venue lady just told me she just discovered that same outdoor walk in was not closing properly!!!! She said it would explain a lot... icon_eek.gif

YEAH it would! I feel better.... this past week I delivered two cakes to them...had to make two complete trips which was two total hours of driving but at least no disasters!

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:44am
post #46 of 46

good to hear!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%