Which Sps System Should I Buy? Does It Matter?

Decorating By sberryp Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 8:53pm by leah_s

sberryp Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

I have mostly seen wilton's plates and pillars in stores, but should I get another brand? Does it really matter? If so post websites and links to good and cheap SPS systems.

8 replies
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 9

SPS is the name of the system by Bakery Crafts. Wilton does not make SPS, they make Wilton. It is not a generic name, it's a brand name.

sberryp Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 2:09am
post #3 of 9

Thank you? Have you ever used Wiltons?

sweettreat101 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 4:41am
post #4 of 9

Fondant Source is really reasonable. I like the system but I wish they had a larger selection on the sizes of legs. They sell 4" legs and 5" in a kit. My cakes average between 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 inches high so the 4" legs don't work for me I have to trim one of my cake layers down for it to work. Since the 5" only come in a kit they are a little to pricey for me. It is a great system but I prefer my Stress Free cake supports. You dial in the height that you want on each leg. Makes it so easy to dowel cakes. You would have to charge a deposit because it is a pricey system but well worth it. I only have two rings and several sizes of legs and it works great. You might want to go watch their video and see how the system works. Sugar Craft sell something they call cake jacks.

leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 8:35am
post #5 of 9

I have used the Wilton stuff in a pinch. NO WAY would I choose to use it all the time. It is much more expensive than SPS and does not really lock together, making it much less desirable.

Fondant Source's ricing is quite reasonable, but I couldn't find the multi-piece set on their site. (I looked in the last minute.) Oasis Supply always has all sizes in stock.

sweettreat101 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 9

Fondant source has many items that are not listed on their site. If you call and talk to them they will add it to the site so you can purchase. I tried Oasis but their prices were higher. I needed a specific stencil and Fondant source got it for me.

aprilismaius Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 9

I get my SPS from globalsugarart, mainly because they ship so quickly!

CakeItGood Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 9

SPS is a great choice, especially if you are just starting to get into tiered cakes. I have recently started researching Cake Stackers as well, but am not sure that I want to deal with the higher equipment deposit and a lot of small parts to replace. But it seems like a rock solid system. For now, I am sticking with SPS.

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 9

Getting equipment back is way too much hassle and small parts are a nightmare. SPS being disposable makes it all so easy for everyone involved. As much as I don't want to bother, I assure you that customers do not want the hassle of returning your stuff to you either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%