Baking A Chocolate Cake - Continuous Disaster - Help!

Baking By Lozenger Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 9:16pm by cakestyles

Lozenger Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I have made two recent attempts to bake chocolate cake one with a receipe and one from a bag!

I made the bag cake first, greased and lined the 6 inch pan cooked as instructed and when I took it from the oven at the time instructed, it was still very wet. So i put it back in for 10 mins and took it out again, it was the same! So on and so forth for approx an extra 1/2 hour! then the outside was dry and the inside was stodgy!

So i tried a friends recommended recipe, used a different 6 inch pan, didn't line it just greased it. Recipe was 170g of caster sugar, self raising flour, marg. Teaspoon of baking powder, 3 eggs and 1 tablespoon of coco powder, oven 160 degrees for 1/2 hour and the same thing happened as above....

Can anyone tell me why this has happened twice?

thank you.

5 replies
Kellbella Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 6

Try using cake strips around your pan and a flower nail in the middle. Those will help the cake to bake evenly.

mclaren Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 6

Could it be that your oven's temp is a bit off? You might want to get a thermometer to check the accuracy of the temp before baking again next time.

cheatize Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 6

I think your oven temp is off, too. You should need a nail or heating core in a 6 inch pan. Do other things bake correctly for you?

KateLS Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 6

I believe cheatize meant you shouldn't need a nail or core in a six inch. Usually just for larger cakes.

cakestyles Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 6

160 degrees farenheit or celcius?

Does the recipe call for a 6" pan?

Quote by @%username% on %date%