9.23.11 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By catlharper Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 6:33am by catlharper

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:43am
post #61 of 97

Catlharper: I just finished a cake this morning that my design was out of wafer paper. It is easy enough to work with, but there are a few things that you need to know when using it. I was going to do a demo on it at my cake club a couple of months ago so I got a few sheets to practice on and find out which method I liked best. I liked using food markers to outline with and then using piping gel colored with gel or paste colors and brushed on with a paint brush. you have to be very careful not to get it too wet. Then when applying to cake after it has dried you need to make sure that you apply it immediately after smoothing your cake down and before it has completely crusted on top or where ever you are putting the design. Mine is not melding with the icing like it should. When I did the demo for my club, I put a wafer paper desing on the cake right after I smoothed it over and it took right away. But is relatively easy. I would love to get a edible image printer and system, but it is going to be awhile. When it melds like it is supposed to I think it looks great and is pretty close in idea. I found out a lot about it in some old American Cake Decorating Magazines that a lady in my cake club was getting rid of and no one else wanted the majority of them so I took them and I am so glad I did. they are so helpful.

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:44am
post #62 of 97

Catlharper: I just finished a cake this morning that my design was out of wafer paper. It is easy enough to work with, but there are a few things that you need to know when using it. I was going to do a demo on it at my cake club a couple of months ago so I got a few sheets to practice on and find out which method I liked best. I liked using food markers to outline with and then using piping gel colored with gel or paste colors and brushed on with a paint brush. you have to be very careful not to get it too wet. Then when applying to cake after it has dried you need to make sure that you apply it immediately after smoothing your cake down and before it has completely crusted on top or where ever you are putting the design. Mine is not melding with the icing like it should. When I did the demo for my club, I put a wafer paper desing on the cake right after I smoothed it over and it took right away. But is relatively easy. I would love to get a edible image printer and system, but it is going to be awhile. When it melds like it is supposed to I think it looks great and is pretty close in idea. I found out a lot about it in some old American Cake Decorating Magazines that a lady in my cake club was getting rid of and no one else wanted the majority of them so I took them and I am so glad I did. they are so helpful.

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:45am
post #63 of 97

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:46am
post #64 of 97

Catlharper: I just finished a cake this morning that my design was out of wafer paper. It is easy enough to work with, but there are a few things that you need to know when using it. I was going to do a demo on it at my cake club a couple of months ago so I got a few sheets to practice on and find out which method I liked best. I liked using food markers to outline with and then using piping gel colored with gel or paste colors and brushed on with a paint brush. you have to be very careful not to get it too wet. Then when applying to cake after it has dried you need to make sure that you apply it immediately after smoothing your cake down and before it has completely crusted on top or where ever you are putting the design. Mine is not melding with the icing like it should. When I did the demo for my club, I put a wafer paper design on the cake right after I smoothed it over and it took right away. But is relatively easy. I would love to get a edible image printer and system, but it is going to be awhile. When it melds like it is supposed to I think it looks great and is pretty close in idea. I found out a lot about it in some old American Cake Decorating Magazines that a lady in my cake club was getting rid of and no one else wanted the majority of them so I took them and I am so glad I did. they are so helpful.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:56am
post #65 of 97

I am ust about to pull a last minute 2 tier out of the oven ~ and by last minute, I mean tdue tomorrow!! Before you all frost my butt for taking this order, you've gotta here this story.

I am the event coordinator at a country club. We are hosting a 50th class reunion this weekend. i get a call today from a lady in Nashville. Her husband was a graduate in this class and i guess was a pretty big deal. He passed away 2 monthes ago from cancer and she just couldnt bring herself to make the trip. She wanted to do something special for the reunion, sponsor something, order something, etc, she wasnt quite sure what she wanted. She then said "Are they having dessert? Can I order a cake? Can you make a cake?" I immediately said "Actually....in my alter ego life, I have a cake studio and can certainly make a cake!"

So here I sit, waiting for cakes to bake, making icing and decos, and getting ready to get up early to decorate so I can be back at work by 11AM. However, I am super excited to present this surprise cake to the guests tomorrow to honor their classmate. I love when cake represents something so much more!

And (!!!), I found THIS http://www.uvvodka.com/page/show/333797-uv-cake

jenng1482 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:57am
post #66 of 97

I am ust about to pull a last minute 2 tier out of the oven ~ and by last minute, I mean tdue tomorrow!! Before you all frost my butt for taking this order, you've gotta here this story.

I am the event coordinator at a country club. We are hosting a 50th class reunion this weekend. i get a call today from a lady in Nashville. Her husband was a graduate in this class and i guess was a pretty big deal. He passed away 2 monthes ago from cancer and she just couldnt bring herself to make the trip. She wanted to do something special for the reunion, sponsor something, order something, etc, she wasnt quite sure what she wanted. She then said "Are they having dessert? Can I order a cake? Can you make a cake?" I immediately said "Actually....in my alter ego life, I have a cake studio and can certainly make a cake!"

So here I sit, waiting for cakes to bake, making icing and decos, and getting ready to get up early to decorate so I can be back at work by 11AM. However, I am super excited to present this surprise cake to the guests tomorrow to honor their classmate. I love when cake represents something so much more!

jenng1482 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:58am
post #67 of 97

jenng1482 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:59am
post #68 of 97

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:59am
post #69 of 97

Looks like CC is having posting issues. The trick is to just hit submit once and then let it "not load" and then go back into CC and to the forums again...you will find your post is there after all.

So...thanx for the info on the wafer paper...I'm going to go out and look for some while I'm on "vacation" and see what I can find and do with it. Love to learn and play at the same time!<G>

Cat

jenng1482 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:00am
post #70 of 97

catlharper Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:00am
post #71 of 97

Looks like CC is having posting issues. The trick is to just hit submit once and then let it "not load" and then go back into CC and to the forums again...you will find your post is there after all.

So...thanx for the info on the wafer paper...I'm going to go out and look for some while I'm on "vacation" and see what I can find and do with it. Love to learn and play at the same time!<G>

Cat

jenng1482 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:01am
post #72 of 97

catlharper Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:01am
post #73 of 97

Cat

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:05am
post #74 of 97

GeezLouise, I'm still cutting these %#*@( flowers.

leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:06am
post #75 of 97

leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:07am
post #76 of 97

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:08am
post #77 of 97

Jules5000, just wondering if the rice paper melds with the buttercream, how does the look end up differing from just putting the piping gel directly onto the cake? Thanks!

tarabara Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:09am
post #78 of 97

Jules5000, just wondering if the rice paper melds with the buttercream, how does the look end up differing from just putting the piping gel directly onto the cake? Thanks!

tarabara Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:10am
post #79 of 97

tarabara Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:11am
post #80 of 97

tarabara Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:12am
post #81 of 97

catlharper Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:53am
post #82 of 97

It's almost 11pm on the West Coast so 2am on the East Coast of the US so I'm headed off to bed. I'll check in tomorrow morning to see if anyone was up in the middle of the night or any of our international members made it on to chat while I slept! Happy and safe deliveries to everyone!

Cat

catlharper Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:54am
post #83 of 97

It's almost 11pm on the West Coast so 2am on the East Coast of the US so I'm headed off to bed. I'll check in tomorrow morning to see if anyone was up in the middle of the night or any of our international members made it on to chat while I slept! Happy and safe deliveries to everyone!

Cat

catlharper Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:55am
post #84 of 97

Cat

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 6:20am
post #85 of 97

Ha, ha! My work is done for the night and kitchen is cleaned up so I thought I'd check on y'all. When I saw there were 6 pages of "posts," I just knew it was because of the submitting problem tonight.

I have a feeling Leah is still cutting those %#*@( flowers.

Safe deliveries, everyone!

cheatize Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 6:21am
post #86 of 97

Ha, ha! My work is done for the night and kitchen is cleaned up so I thought I'd check on y'all. When I saw there were 6 pages of "posts," I just knew it was because of the submitting problem tonight.

cheatize Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 6:22am
post #87 of 97

leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:24pm
post #88 of 97

I hope CC gets this posting issue fixed!!

Wafer paper is very easy to work with on the Cricut - no learning curve at all. It works just like regular paper. I just needed to cut a million pieces.

I wait for the bc to crust over as much as it's going to, since I want the flowers to stand away from the cake.

Wafer paper is not meant to meld/melt into the icing. it is supposed to stay together. It's hard to cut through so the advice has always been not to ue a whole design on the top of a cake. If you want the design to meld into the frosting you really have to use an icing sheet.

But it's great for flowers. I use it to make multi-layers of 5-6 petals flowers.

leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:25pm
post #89 of 97

Wafer paper is very easy to work with on the Cricut - no learning curve at all. It works just like regular paper. I just needed to cut a million pieces.

I wait for the bc to crust over as much as it's going to, since I want the flowers to stand away from the cake.

Wafer paper is not meant to meld/melt into the icing. it is supposed to stay together. It's hard to cut through so the advice has always been not to ue a whole design on the top of a cake. If you want the design to meld into the frosting you really have to use an icing sheet.

But it's great for flowers. I use it to make multi-layers of 5-6 petals flowers.

leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #90 of 97

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%