Boat Cake

Decorating By Mandybermuda Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 7:04pm by Mandybermuda

Mandybermuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandybermuda Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:21am
post #1 of 11

Need ideas on how to make a boat cake for my husband birthday.

10 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:39am
post #2 of 11

Mandybermuda: Are you talking about making a 3-d boat cake? Are you wanting like how many of what size cakes to start with? Are you just wanting some boat cakes to get ideas for what you want. What exactly is it that you are needing the help with? I put boat cakes into the search engine on here and came up with all kinds of different boats. So that is why I am asking. I would think that it would totally depend on what type of boat you are talking about on how much or what sizes of cakes to start with? I usually find that if I find a cake that I would like to use the idea from that if I pm that person who put the picture on here and ask them if I can use their cake idea for a cake that I am doing I have always found a very favorable response. Unless I didn't start early enough for them to get back to me on what they did to achieve their cake. I hope that my questions and comments are clear enough and that you can clarify exactly what it is you are needing help with. Hope to hear soon. God bless.

mumof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:57am
post #3 of 11

What about a Pirate ship boat?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1509489

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 6:14am
post #4 of 11

Well, I had been thinking that I was the only one having problems with this thing tonight and it was probably my computer, but after I see all the dittos responses I know it is this thing-CC, that is the problem not us. Have a great night everyone. I am going to bed.

Mandybermuda Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 2:50am
post #5 of 11

sorry forgot to mention that i want to make a 3d boat cake. icon_smile.gif He has a cabin cruiser. Was just wondering if there was any tuitorials on how to make one. thanks for responding. Really appreciate it

Mandybermuda Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 2:56am
post #6 of 11

Also need ideas on how to make the railings, the ladder and etc. His boat looks similar to this!

http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/Mainship-350%20High%20Performance%20Trawler-99821067/?ZMC=Oodle&BAC-Oodle

jules5000 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:20am
post #7 of 11

mandybermuda: I have not done anything like this yet, but if it were me I would possibly think about using short and/ or long lollipop sticks for the railiings and other straight line type items on the boat. Since they are food safe and could be stuck in the cake w/o any extra precautions. I have no idea if there is any tutorials on this kind of thing, but I would imagine that you could find out if there was on utube easily enough.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:26am
post #8 of 11

If you want everything to be edible for the rails you could use those white popeye smoke sticks (remember those!) - I know they still make them because I've seen them just recently. And then for the canopy you could use fruit rollup?? The rest I would carve out of sheet cakes, dirty ice and then cover in white fondant, that way you can can pain on any really cool decals he likes or even what his boat has. Good Luck!

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:11am
post #9 of 11

I would definitely stack sheet cake layers cut into the shape of the boat hull. If you go on the Mainship website you can probably find floor plan layout diagrams for that boat (or a similar one) and enlarge them to use as templates. You could probably use foamcore, plywood, masonite or some other solid board as the base for the upper deck and overhang it slightly over the front windshield and stack more cake as the upper helm area. I would use hardened extruded gumpaste, bamboo skewers, or lollipop sticks for the bridge supports and thick spaghetti for the bow rails and antennas. Bimini top and swim platform could be done in gumpaste.

jules5000 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 11

stormrider: love your signature scripture. It is one of my many favorites. very uplifting and encouraging.

Mandybermuda Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I live in bermuda so i am limited on what i can get over here at the cake shop. I will definitly post a picture fo the boat when i am done icon_smile.gif

I also have another question. In bermuda the humidity can get pretty high.l i have used the wilton buttercream icing and i find that the humidity gets to it pretty quick. Does it make a difference to add cornstarch to the icing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%