For Those Who Use Boxed Carrot Cake Mix

Baking By carmijok Updated 12 Dec 2016 , 9:31pm by kakeladi

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 10

I have to make a carrot cake and I really don't have time to do it from scratch, and I was reading on one of the forums here that some of you use box mixes and combine the carrot mix with a spice mix. Which brand do you use and do you 'doctor' it up with say fresh grated carrots, and maybe extra cinnamon or something? I will want to use pineapple, does anyone else add that? And if so, how much?
Your help is appreciated.

9 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:49am
post #2 of 10

I recently used Duncan Hines carrot cake mix (Supreme I think). Made cupcakes. I added some crushed pineapple, coconut, and chopped walnuts. I think it turned out great- people loved them. Extra spice would be good also.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:53am
post #3 of 10

If I were going to make it from a box mix, I would use DH carrot cake mix and add each box:
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 box vanilla pudding
reduce your water slightly and add a little pineapple and a little fresh grated carrot

But anytime you alter a recipe you take the risk of a cake failer. Baking is a fine science of dry to wet ingredients.

There are a lot of scratch recipes right here in the recipe section of CC for carrot cakes. You could try mine if you like:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/17590/sugar-and-spice-carrot-cake-with-caramel-topping

I prefer just boiling a can of Carnation evaporated milk for 2 hours for the caramel topping though. Just make sure if you do this that you do it ahead of time and let it remain in the water until it is completely cool. DO NOT try to open the can or even remove it from the water until it is completely cool.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:10am
post #4 of 10

I have made 100s of carrot cakes using Betty Crocker mix. I use pineapple juice as the liquid (when I have it on hand - otherwise use water) and about 1/2 Cup of fresh grated carrots.
I do not put pineapple or nuts in the mix. Nothing else is needed (except the usual eggs). And yes, of course, I have use my WASC recipe adding the extra flour, sugar, sour cr etc
I don't use spice mix unless I cannot find a carrot mix. Then I increase the grated carrots to about 1 cup and do the rest as stated above.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #5 of 10

I use DH carrot cake mix and add 1 jar of pureed carrot baby food, sour cream, a package of vanilla pudding, 4 eggs and water. icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 1:15am
post #6 of 10

thanks for all the replies! Lots of things to consider! I appreciate the response. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ceasarmax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceasarmax Posted 9 Dec 2016 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 10

Hi ,

Could you give me the recipe for your carrot cake with pinepple etc ?

Please

kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2016 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 10

ceasarmax - this is a *very old* post.   What recipe are you wanting?   Scratch or from a box mix?  My comments are post #4 on this thread.   I don't get on the computer often so I might not get back to you quickly.

ceasarmax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceasarmax Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 10

Hello,

I would like to use bc cake mix with carrot baby food with vanilla pudding ,crushed pineapple etc.Do you have that recipe ?

kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 10

Well I just add fresh grated carrots to my BC cake mix.  I also use the juice from the well drained pineapple as the liquid in my cake mix but do NOT add pudding.

So the recipe would be this:

1 pkg BC spice OR carrot cake mix

1x 8oz can crushed pineapple, well drained - save juice

2 whole eggs

1& 1/4 cup pineapple juice - adding water to make up any difference 

1/2 cup grated carrots

I just mix together the cake mix; juice, carrots and eggs beating low for 2 minutes.  Pour into prepared pans and bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn the oven up to 325 for about an equal amount of time  until you smell that wonderful aroma all through the house:)  Remove from oven to cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before turning out of pan to finish cooling. 

The pineapple is used as filling; usually I mix it w/b'cream and well chopped nuts.  If I'm feeling generous/have it on hand I will mix in a 3oz pkg of cream cheese w/it. 

I hope that you enjoy this.  I used this recipe in my bakeries for many years and it was always well received.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%