The Fickle Nature Of Cake!! Grrr!!

Decorating By Irish_Sue Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 9:53pm by Irish_Sue

Irish_Sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish_Sue Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 4

So today I had an unexpected day off my 'real' work so I decided to have a bit of a baking session and make a birthday cake for a friend and a couple of other cakes for friends. All recipes I know, have done before and could make with my eyes shut - famous last words!!!

Two chocolate cakes - exactly the same recipe, exactly the same methods, exactly the same ingredients, exactly the same oven, exactly the same temperature - two completely different cakes icon_smile.gif

Pineapple drizzle cake, made this loads and didn't do anything different from what I normally do but the cake doesn't look like it normally does (at least it tastes as good as it normally does)

Chocolate cup cakes with white chocolate and strawberry buttercream - well these look like the should, just hoping my flatmate tells me they taste good when he comes back!!

Cake science - it is enough to drive anyone bonkers icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 4

possibly your element in your oven is going bad... fluctuations in heat will mess up an otherwise perfect combination.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 4

I agree w/MamaDear.

Irish_Sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish_Sue Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 4

That was my first thought, but not the case - have had it checked. I am going to just put it down to the being one of those things. It is more likely 'user error' and something I have done without realising it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%