Need Help With Sagging Fondant

Decorating By lenaky Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 2:10am by lenaky

lenaky Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 6

I don't know what I do wrong, but sometimes it happens, more often then not. My cake looks great when I first do it, by the next day or even a few hours later, the fondant starts to sag on the sides. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. After the buttercream sets in the fridge for a day I take it out, apply piping gel to the sides and cover with MMF. I would love for someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. The cake is usually cool when I cover it. Thank you! Ive attached a link to the picture to see what I mean. It's on the bottom tier right above the piping.

http://www.elenissweetcreations.com/cakes/gravedigger-cake/

5 replies
Reyna Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 6

you don't need piping gel at all, that might be the problem. i ice my cake put it in the freezer for about 10 min (while i get fondant kneaded colored and rolled) i get it out and spray it with water (i have a very small spray bottle) that is ALL i place my fondant on and that's it I've never had a problem with it sagging. Might make sure your buttercream isn't too soft eather, if you need it soft to apply just put in microwave and when it cools it will get back to normal consistency.

bakerliz Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna

you don't need piping gel at all, that might be the problem. i ice my cake put it in the freezer for about 10 min (while i get fondant kneaded colored and rolled) i get it out and spray it with water (i have a very small spray bottle) that is ALL i place my fondant on and that's it I've never had a problem with it sagging. Might make sure your buttercream isn't too soft eather, if you need it soft to apply just put in microwave and when it cools it will get back to normal consistency.

thumbs_up.gif And great tip about the microwave!

lenaky Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:09am
post #4 of 6

Thank you!! I think my buttercream is too soft. Can't wait to try it on my next cake.

lenaky Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:09am
post #5 of 6

Thank you!! I think my buttercream is too soft. Can't wait to try it on my next cake.

lenaky Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:10am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%