Help...triple Allergies!

Baking By pursuing_perfection Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 2:52am by pursuing_perfection

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 8

I have had a request for a cake that is dairy-free, gluten-free and egg-free! I have accomodated all of those request before...but never all together. Does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe that would work? I have found that gluten-free cakes have a different texture, and very bumpy tops (which I cut off!). Any tips for making gluten-free work better?

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 8

We make dairy/gluten/egg-free cakes all the time, the main ingredient is tofu combined with our gluten-free flour mix (rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum).

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 8

My best recipe is the gluten free vicoria sponge cake, better than the gluten one, if you go to youtube, and look under indian vegetarian cakes, there are excellent recipes for gf cakes with tofu, i personally prefer the blends, brown rice, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum and love the recipes by annalise g roberts.

pursuing_perfection Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

We make dairy/gluten/egg-free cakes all the time, the main ingredient is tofu combined with our gluten-free flour mix (rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum).

Recipes please! (I checked your profile and didn't see any.) I use a gluten-free blend as well, with guar gum...but have never used tofu in the cake.

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 8

I have excellent luck using Better Batter flour or a sorghum/rice/tapioca blend. I use the Better Batter in my traditional recipes. For dairy free there are lots of dairy free butter substitutes in the grocery stores these days. I haven't had to do egg free before.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuing_perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Recipes please! (I checked your profile and didn't see any.) I use a gluten-free blend as well, with guar gum...but have never used tofu in the cake.

Our recipes are proprietary (we spent several months in R&D perfecting them), but we are working on publishing a cookbook, hopefully to be released by the end of the year.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 8

For the eggs, use EnerG Egg Replacer. For the butter, use Fleischman's Unsalted Margarine or vegan margarine (can't remember the name) made with soy.

pursuing_perfection Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 2:52am
post #8 of 8

Thank-you all for your suggestions.

I will have to watch for the cookbook, Jason...although it won't be out in time for this order icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%