Cake Border Help

Decorating By audairymaid Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 1:53am by kakeladi

audairymaid Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone tell me which tip/techniques is used to get this border?

8 replies
crisseyann Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 9

There appears to be an error with that link. icon_sad.gif

audairymaid Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:36am
post #3 of 9

My bad. Not used to posting here and having trouble with the format. Here is the website and the first picture is the border I am referring to. I am also adding an attachment.

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:50am
post #4 of 9

audairymaid: I went to look for the tip that I thought it might be, but I have evidently hidden it from myself. What comes to mind is either an 81 or 91, but since I can't find it I couldn't say for sure. The other two tips that I found that might produce something similiar were a 61 and and 86. Good luck. I was practicing some borders not very long back and evidently didn't get all my tips washed and back in place. I will have to find it. Good luck. I am sure that there are quite a few on here that could tell you for sure.

kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:54am
post #5 of 9

If you're refering to the cake titled Polka Dot Princes It's really hard to be sure but I'd say they made a 'U' movement using tip 79 and overpiped it a couple of times - each time with a little less pressure. A 79 tip looks like a 1/2 moon or a smile.

cabecakes Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:03am
post #6 of 9

That's what I was thinking kakeladi.

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:28am
post #7 of 9

audairymaid: I was looking for another tip for another person on a different forum subject and saw that #86-#88 all seemed to produce that look. So one of those 3 tips ought to give you that look you want. I saw the samples that they gave for those tips and it was the same. I would think that if you wanted a fuller ruffle look that you could move that part of the tip a little more exaggerated like and you would get a fuller ruffle. Best wishes.

audairymaid Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:53am
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone!

kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:53am
post #9 of 9

jules makes a good point. No need to be sure of what tip to use. Make something similar with what you have icon_smile.gif A nice ruffle w/similar look can be made w/tip 86 thru 88 or 103-104 and even 67 thru 70!
It's called practice, practice, practice icon_smile.gif

Get out your tips and use *one* each day. Make every movement you have learned with that one tip. Hold it in different positions and do a zigzag; rosette, shell, line; etc, etc. You will be surprised at some of the nice borders you come up with icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%