Ruffles Or Frills With Fondant!?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 7:51pm by Marianna46

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:19am
post #1 of 17

ok...so i know how to do those ruffles/frills on a cake with buttercream...actually did that one recently icon_lol.gif

how do you make them with fondant!? is there a cutter? do you just roll it out and then use a ball tool on the edge of something?

I am thinking the fondant way is much more complicated...but maybe i'm wrong

16 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:33am
post #2 of 17
step0nmi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 17

OMG THANK YOU!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 3:19am
post #4 of 17

ur welcome. I saw it this morning and saved it also. Good luck!!!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 17

That link takes me to a message that says it doesn't exist anymore! Does anyone else have that problem? icon_sad.gif

RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

That link takes me to a message that says it doesn't exist anymore! Does anyone else have that problem? icon_sad.gif

Yep, got the same message icon_sad.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 17

I can't see it, either. That's happening a lot lately, even on seemingly innocuous posts - I mean, I can see cancelling discussions that get too heated, but it's happening on threads where nothing untoward has come up. Is it a programming glitch or what? Anyway, about fondant frills, there's a cutter called a Garrett (not sure about spelling!) frill cutter. It cuts a ring in your fondant that has a fluted outer edge and a smooth inner one. You cut the ring open and ruffle the outer edge with a toothpick or whatever works best for you. When you place the ruffle on the cake, you straighten the smooth edge, so the ruffle will be even "frillier". They look very nice and are easy to do. I don't have one of these cutters, but I make do with two circle cutters placed one inside the other. My ring has a smooth outer edge, but it still looks pretty good. Here's a link to one of my cakes that has fondant ruffles at the bottom:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1694015

step0nmi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 17

that's messed up icon_sad.gif

step0nmi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 17

the video is still on youtube. it's by savannahcustomcakes and i searched for fondant ruffles.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 17

Here is the link that was in the missing post.... http://www.youtube.com/user/savannahcustomcakes?feature=mhee

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks for the typed instructions! I'm at work and can't access YouTube, but I'll check that out from home. Thank you both!

Marianna46 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks for that link, bisbqueenb. I see she uses straight strips of fondant instead of circular ones, which is much easier and it looks great. It looked like she was attaching the ruffle to buttercream. Do you suppose that was the case? I've only put these on fondant, but I have a buttercream cake next week that I'd love to put some ruffles on.

RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Thanks for that link, bisbqueenb. I see she uses straight strips of fondant instead of circular ones, which is much easier and it looks great. It looked like she was attaching the ruffle to buttercream. Do you suppose that was the case? I've only put these on fondant, but I have a buttercream cake next week that I'd love to put some ruffles on.

I think you might be right about her attaching the ruffles to buttercream. I've done a couple ruffle cakes myself and have only put them onto buttercream so I know it works fine!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:17pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks for posting that youtube link - that was very interesting as well as fast! If you've ever sewed, it makes perfect sense! Can't wait to try it...but since my next cake is going to be a car, I think I will have to wait!!

step0nmi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 10:47pm
post #15 of 17

i'm so bummed i don't get to do this cake now....the lady canceled her order cuz a friend is gonna do it.

DrewsCrows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DrewsCrows Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:39am
post #16 of 17

Hi! I am doing fondant ruffles on a wedding cake for Saturday. I have been putting the tons of ruffles on the buttercream crumb coat, instead of my original plan which was to attach the ruffles to a base layer of fondant. I just started thinking today "why put on a layer of fondant when the ruffles will create a pretty solid layer already?" i did all of the ruffles on the bottom tier tonight, and then rolled out a fondant circle to lay on the top of the cake. But now I'm worried about the cake melting!! I'm wondering if the tiny gaps that must exist here and there in some of the ruffle edges (even though I dont see any) will cause the cake to act like a regular buttercream cake that isnt refrigerated!? I know I can't put this cake in the fridge, but will it hold up like a normal fondant covered cake? Or will the little tiny areas that my be exposed to the air cause the cake to spoil faster?

Eek!! Should I go ahead and cover the other two tiers with fondant before doing the fondant ruffles tomorrow?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Amy
Sweets Couture

Marianna46 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 7:51pm
post #17 of 17

I think the fondant covering is necessary to support the weight of the ruffles. With just the crumbcoat, you run the risk of the ruffles detaching from the cake. I would not only put a fondant covering on your other tiers, I would go back and cover the crumbcoated tier with fondant and re-do the ruffles. Sorry to give you bad news, but you're taking a real chance if you don't do it that way. Oh, dear, I just realized after writing all that that your cake was for today. Whatever you decided to do, I hope it was a success!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%