My First Big Blowout.....

Decorating By Periperi Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 3:46am by step0nmi

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:41am
post #1 of 6

I'm so beyond frustrated. I made a babyshower cake (in my pics). The top tier had air bubbles so big they burst the fondant in 3 places. Luckily they were all towards the back. The front of the cake still looks like it did in the picture. After I finished the cake I was so excited. This was the 1st cake where I absolutely loved how it turned out. I woke up at 2am with a bad feeling and went to check on my cake. Low and behold I came across the blowouts. I tried to fix them the best I could, but now the back is very lumpy and wrinkled.

After researching I'm guessing it was caused from crumb coating my cake layers while they were chilled. Or maybe I should've put a tile on the filled cake for a while. I don't really know. After today I feel like I'm back at square one. A total novice who has no clue and no business decorating cakes.

Should I just charge the customer for the cost of materials and ingredients since the back is rippled?

*going to crawl back under my rock for the rest of the day*

5 replies
cakingformykids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingformykids Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:57am
post #2 of 6

This was the 1st cake where I absolutely loved how it turned out[/quote]

ummmm....your a little icon_lol.gif your work is amazing!!! you should love how everything turns out. I wish i had half your talent

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #3 of 6

You're very kind. There are definitely highs and lows to this business. Still wondering what I should charge this customer. ugh!

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 3:14am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periperi

You're very kind. There are definitely highs and lows to this business. Still wondering what I should charge this customer. ugh!

icon_confused.gif

iamcookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcookie Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 3:20am
post #5 of 6

Personally, when my cakes have been less than perfect, I tell the costumer what I normally would charge, but with the slight imperfection, I offer it at a discounted price-maybe 10%. Yours is in the back of the cake, so it shouldn't be a big deal. If the customer is still upset offer a 15% discount.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 3:46am
post #6 of 6

is there anything you can do to cover it up? I would still charge them a fair price...it's not as if the cake is unservable!

just curious...how come you don't have a price already set and have the money? aren't you worried they may not pay you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%