Do You Think This Would Work Or Be A Complete Disaster

Decorating By AKmomto4 Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 6:15am by Marianna46

AKmomto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKmomto4 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I am new to this site but not to cake decorating, so "Hi!" and thanks in advance for your help.
I want to make a 3 tiered (10,8 and 6") square cake for my sisters birthday but I live on a remote island without access to a baking supply store and I only have a 10" square pan. I was wondering if I could just bake all layers in the 10" pan, wrap and freeze until solid and then trim down to the sizes needed? The cake recipe I plan to use I have used several times so I know it can be carved easily if frozen first but the reason I'm worried is because it is going to be covered with MMF and I know if there is any error it will show. Should I attempt this or forget the tiered idea? I was also wondering if you think a chocolate espresso cake with espresso chocolate mousse filling and espresso BC would be too much with MMF? My sister loves my carrot cake but I have a design I really want to do and I don't think carrot cake, cream cheese frosting and MMF would taste good. I have seen Cream Cheese Fondant recipes but I'm scared it won't work and I'll end up wasting expensive ingredients. Here is a link to what I wanted to do
http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/fabric-cakes#slide_14

5 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 6

Yes you could definitely cut down the squares to size...especially since they'll be square tiers it will be easy to get them cut evenly.

I like the chocolate espresso cake idea, it'll be delicious.

I wouldn't recommend ever using MMF over cream cheese icing, because cc icing is very soft and will "melt" your MMF.

Good luck and welcome to CC!

AKmomto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKmomto4 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:01am
post #3 of 6

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 7:31am
post #4 of 6

Yes the trimming will work fine. Use the cream cheese icing as the filling in the carrot cake and outside-ice with whatever you are used to using.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 4:31am
post #5 of 6

Yes you can use a cream cheese frosting if it is a crusting cream cheese butter cream. This is my favorite recipe. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2047/crusting-cream-cheese-icing

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:15am
post #6 of 6

I cut down cakes all the time - works like a charm, especially on square or rectangular ones - anything with straight edges. Your flavor combo sounds delicious, but I think it would taste better without the fondant. How good are you at buttercream? The damask designs could be fondant, though, if you're going to include them in your design (I wasn't sure whether you'd follow the exact design in the photo or whether you just wanted to show the tiers). Hope it turns out great - it certainly sounds like it will!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%