Am I Supposed To Set Up My Own Cake?

Decorating By Junebugs Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 6:12am by KSMill

Junebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Junebugs Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 67

Hi, possibly harried bride here. Long story short, if I'm reading my contract right, I have to stack my own wedding cake next weekend. Don't you all set the cakes up for your customers?

66 replies
Junebugs Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 67

What the heck. This is sort of what I am getting. How on earth do I do that? http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/399510519_756922a030.jpg And I know that's what's going on, because on her additional comments section or checklist, she marked down 5 bakery boxes probably for 5 tiers. I thought about this a month ago after looking closer at the contract, and forgot to call. Called earlier this week and didn't get a return call. Now looking at her Facebook page, I don't see any activity on it for almost 3 months. Nothing. No new photos, nothing, and before that, something at least once a week. This sucks.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 67

The majority of bakers will stack the cake themselves. However, I don't know the specifics of your particular situation.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 67

I would continue to call until you get an answer, email as well.

Is she a home baker or has a store front?

Honestly I've never heard of a customer having to stack there own cake, and I couldn't imagine expecting one to do so with a topsy turvy cake.

Junebugs Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 67

It's her house, and she was at the time working with my fiance in the same department at his phone bank. This stupid contract talks about so many things, and I guess I should have read it clearer. It looks like a I initialled some stupid paragraph about not the baker not being held responsible for the cake not looking right if the light in the reception hall is weird?? My god, the things I do when I'm not paying attention. That's another story. I'll keep calling. But really guys, is it hard to set up? Please tell me it's not. Please tell me I just stack them up and all will be fine.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 67

Oh hell no! You shouldn't have to do a dang thing but smile at it and cut it for pictures!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 67

If she uses an SPS system, which is a system of hard plastic plates and dowels you should be fine, but what about a boarder? I hope if she does expect you to stack it, she at least includes the dowels already cut to size! Maybe she meant in her contract you will be setting the table and she will just come in and place the cake in the spot you want it???? I do not set tables, it is up to the bride to arrange to have it ready by the time I get there to deliver the cake, I set up the cake, stack it if needed, and get out of there!

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 67

Heck at this point I'd be concerned that she isn't responding to you and that she is still going to do the cake. I agree with others - keep calling until you get an answer! Best of luck!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 67

Keep calling. And if you've mailed in payment, you must have an address. Leave a message saying if she doesn't call you back, you're coming over to ask her some questions in person.

Junebugs Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 67

I will keep calling. Thing is, she is getting paid for the balance when she brings the cake. I would think she'd want the rest of the money but idk. I almost feel like I should order another cake somewhere for insurance.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 67

A cake like this should be setup exclusively by the cake decorater...Is is a darn shame if this person is making you set it up...Keep calling and emailing..I too am concerned that you will even get a cake after no return calls..no action on her facebook page etc...I really hope you didn't get ripped off.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 67

WTF. If a bride can stack and finish off a wedding cake then she wouldn't need to hire a cake person at all. It's the cake decorators job to set up the cake, period. I'd keep calling and emailing her every 5 minutes until she answered. If she doesn't answer calls or emails then go to her house if you still have her address.

At this late date you may not have a lot of options for another baker but you may want to start checking around for someone else. Good luck and I hope all goes well.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:04pm
post #13 of 67

I agree with previous posters. Keep on calling and e-mailing. I too am nervous that she hasn't called and no fb activity. Do you know where she lives? If she doesn't get back to you soon, i'd stop by for a chat.I don't understand why she would even allow the client to stack their own cake...hmm.Keep us updated and good luck.

mum321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mum321 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:48pm
post #14 of 67

Oh no!!!!! What a nightmare!!!! Very unproffesional if she drops it off and doesn't do any of the stacking herself.... BUT in the case that you have to do it, it is not that hard, so dont worry too much.... If she has done it right, she would have put dowel into the lower cake/s for the top cake/s to sit on... So basically all you would have to do is lift the top cake (that should be on a board!) and place it on top of the bottom cake. But in general, most cake makers then add some sort of detail or ribbon around the join between the 2 cakes to make it a bit neater (and for decoration).... DON'T STOP CALLING HER! If you know where she lives...go to her house! This is your ONE wedding day, you dont need someone else ruining it for you!

mum321 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:55pm
post #15 of 67

And where you you live? You may be lucky enough to have someone on Cakecentral stumble accross your post who lives in your local area that can make you a cake with short notice.....

mum321 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:57pm
post #16 of 67

And where you you live? You may be lucky enough to have someone on Cakecentral stumble accross your post who lives in your local area that can make you a cake with short notice.....

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 12:31am
post #17 of 67

I'm wondering if she is listing 5 cake boxes because she is detailing what she is charging for? In that case she probably plans on bring the teirs each in their own box and then stacking on site? Ihope that is the case!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 12:47am
post #18 of 67

Go to an established baker and get another cake. I have a feeling that you won't be getting one from the stack-it-yourself person. This happenes more often than you know.

I hate to say it, but if she did deliver the cake I have a feeling that it wouldn't look much like the photo.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:37am
post #19 of 67

Although you never know. There are a number of bakers on here who don't require final payment until the delivery and some have even posted about not answering their phones.

So anything is possible.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 1:51am
post #20 of 67

Can you give the exact wording of that section of the contract? Maybe someone here can translate the cake-talk for you. Maybe it doesn't say that at all.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:10am
post #21 of 67

If your cake will be similar to the picture you posted I'd say there is more involved than just stacking. All of the finishing details around the bottom of each tier and adding other design elements like the flowers. Also, the topsy turvy design can be a little more difficult to stack, depending on what technique she uses. I sure hope you can get in touch with her soon to go over the details.

Junebugs Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 3:18am
post #22 of 67

Ok there are itemized charges, and delivery has it's own line, and setup has it's own line. On delivery there is $12.50 listed. On setup there is N/A listed. Hummmmm. I drove over there after work, and no answer. Looks like it did when I went there way back when, so I know they still live there. I talked to my mom and she agrees that we need to order some bakery cakes for the day. I will keep trying to make contact until I see the whites of her eyes.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:05am
post #23 of 67

Go back and leave a note on their door.

Hope you see the whites of her eyes real soon.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:15am
post #24 of 67

I'd love to know how this turns out! Hope you get your cake and have a wonderful wedding!!

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:28am
post #25 of 67

i think the N/A is that she isnt charging you to set up the cake but at this point thats the least of your worries. I would just be worried about getting a cake period. good luck

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 7:06am
post #26 of 67

If this were my wedding cake, I would be camped outside her door until she decided to show. That is ridiculous and very unprofessional. Bakers like this are why some women turn into Bridezillas. And everyone knows there are enough of those out there already.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 10:53am
post #27 of 67

Does this woman have a business, or does she do this on the side? Yes, I know that the two aren't mutually exclusive, but we all know that a lot of problems that are reported on here seem to come from people who are doing cakes on the side and don't take it seriously as a business. So I'm wondering if this could end up being a case of buyer beware.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 11:57am
post #28 of 67

Google her business name and see if there are any reviews.

I wonder if she's a member here.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:36pm
post #29 of 67

Do people do that? Make you set up your own cake I mean. I wouldn't have thought so there are too many details to add when its stacked, and not to mention if the person left to stack did a terrible job it would be the bakers reputation on the line. Sounds a bit strange, unless the set up fee is n/a just because it is already included in the price. I could imagine the cake boxes being on there because she might be taking them in the boxes whether she was stacking them on top. If she was going to make you stack them yourself, she should AT LEAST give you very detailed instructions, its like someone said if everyone knew how to stack and finish cakes they probably wouldn't need to buy one! I hope you track her down soon! There are tutorials for probably every stacking technique online somewhere, but I guess it depends how she is doing the cake!

Cakewishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakewishes Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 4:25pm
post #30 of 67

I agree with the others, keep trying to contact her until you get her and at the same time get yourself a back-up cake. I can't imagine any bride having to stop what she is doing on her big day to finish off a baker's work. As someone else suggested, why don't you give us the exact wording of the portion of the contact you are concerned with and perhaps we can all decipher it for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%