I am really hoping all of you more experienced girls can help me out with one - For my son's 5th birthday cake I would like to make baseball players out of gumpaste or fondant. I need to make about 18 players (one for each of his friends). My mom gave me her old Wilton Gum Paste Family 3D Mold Set and I thought I would try it but I have a few questions:
1) are there any other books that any of you can recommend to find out necessary information before I make these baseball players?
2) is the Wilton Gum Paste Family 3D Mold Set the best thing to use to make the baseball players or is there something else you would better recommend - I want them to look like 18 little 5 year old baseball players?
3) should I use just gumpaste or gumpaste and fondant? Should I mix anything into the gumpaste/fondant?
4) how much gumpaste/fondant do you think I should order to make 18 baseball players (I will probably use the youngest child mold)?
5) can any of you recommend the best brand gumpaste/fondant to use for the people? Do you like Wilton or Satin Ice or something else?
6) can you recommend which patterns and/or pattern books I should buy to create clothes that will most likely resemble a baseball hat and clothes?
7) what other tools and/or supplies should I order to create these baseball people?
do I need to add support such as spaghetti to the people and if so when do I do that when using the molds?
Thank you for your time!!!