Help - Humidity Is Ruining Everything

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 2:11am by bobwonderbuns

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 15

I have to make a big loopy bow and the humidity is so bad that my loops won't dry. I added tylose to my fondant and it still isn't working. I put them in the fridge and they firmed up, but now I'm worried that they will get all sticky and limp once I take them out of the fridge. The humidity is supposed to be bad for the next several days. HELP - any suggestions??

14 replies
southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 15

We've suddenly been hit with high humidity after a teasing week of glorious autumn. I work yesterday to find that my sugarpaste roses which had previously hardened were softening and I need them for a cake on Saturday. I put them in my oven....no heat but for the pilot light. and in about an hour they were just fine. They are now in a closed container with some silica packets to keep them dry.

I wouldn't think it wise to put them in the refrigerator as that might just add to the moisture problem.

Good luck

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 15

Don't put them in the frig, that will make the problem worse. Put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven with JUST the light on overnight (longer if necessary.) That should do the trick! icon_biggrin.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 15

Welcome to my world! Humidity is the pits!!! Bob is right - in the oven with just the light on and if possible, don't put it on until you are heading out the door with it! icon_sad.gif

msulli10 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks so much - will they stay dry after they come out of the oven?????

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 15

Yes. Once they set they should be fine, but store them in an airtight container with some of those silicone gelpacks (the kind used in shoe boxes) and that will help get rid of any excess moisture.

jpentrack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpentrack Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 15

Big hint if you store gp or fondant anything in the oven place a big note on the front of the oven (DO NOT USE ) being in a hurry you may forget there in there or someone else may come in to preheat not knowing and that would be enough to send any one over the edge icon_cry.gif

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 15

Does anyone know if there is a gumpaste recipe for high humidity area? I think that would help a lot. Some place like south east asia has high humidity as well. I wonder how they cope with that. Thank you.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpentrack

Big hint if you store gp or fondant anything in the oven place a big note on the front of the oven (DO NOT USE ) being in a hurry you may forget there in there or someone else may come in to preheat not knowing and that would be enough to send any one over the edge icon_cry.gif

LOL That's a great tip, I have done that exact thing and started a small, tiny, minor fire! icon_redface.gif

msulli10 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 8:46pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately my gas oven does not have a pilot light that stays on - it's one of those electric starters (sort of defeats the purpose of being gas). I am trying to dry my loops out by the humidifier which is helping a little bit. Where can I buy those silicone gel packs (or do I have to go buy some new shoes icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I have to make a big loopy bow and the humidity is so bad that my loops won't dry. I added tylose to my fondant and it still isn't working. I put them in the fridge and they firmed up, but now I'm worried that they will get all sticky and limp once I take them out of the fridge. The humidity is supposed to be bad for the next several days. HELP - any suggestions??

Get some Witon's pre-made gum paste. I think Michaels currently has a 40% off coupon and if you have one there you can use it. It dries fast...humidity or not. And once it's dried...it's dry!
If you can't get the pre-made gum paste take what you have made now and place in a box with corn starch. Cover it with the CS if you can. You can remove any left over corn starch by brushing your item over with lemon extract or vodka when you're ready to use.

Another trick is to place your items on parchment paper lined cookie sheets and leave in the oven with just the light on. You'd be surprised how warm it gets.
HTH!

thumbs_up.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:13pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately my gas oven does not have a pilot light that stays on - it's one of those electric starters (sort of defeats the purpose of being gas). I am trying to dry my loops out by the humidifier which is helping a little bit. Where can I buy those silicone gel packs (or do I have to go buy some new shoes icon_smile.gif

the oven light will work just as well as the pilot light. As for teh silicone gel packs, yes, you must by some new shoes to get them (this is my new favourite excuse to by shoes now!)

If you're not in the mood to play Imelda Marcos, then look in the floral section of Walmart (where they have floral wire, etc.), or Michaels or other craft store. It may come in a one pound can and it's used for flower drying. Just spred some on the bottom of an airtight container, cover with a rack to keep the sugar paste items from touching it and bob's your uncle.

And this is why none of us have any extra closet space because we have to store all this stuff just to keep our bows from sagging!

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 15

i have this humidity problem as well, icon_cry.gif

msulli10 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:08pm
post #14 of 15

Wow, everyone has been so helpful. I did the oven thing and so far so good. They are now is an air tight container - hope it lasts. Now gotta go buy some new shoes............

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:11am
post #15 of 15
Quote:

Wow, everyone has been so helpful. I did the oven thing and so far so good. They are now is an air tight container - hope it lasts. Now gotta go buy some new shoes............

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%