Mehndi

Decorating By Emmnemms Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 1:46pm by aprilismaius

Emmnemms Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 7:09am
post #1 of 3

Hiya icon_smile.gif
So I have decided I want to become killer at Mehndi (which is the designs that are created on hands out of Henna)

I'm an ok piper (just much experience on small things) What are some good starting ideas? I have just done two, and they turned out decently well for a first time, but I also traced them. How could I learn to free hand? Do I have to just have a natural gift or can it be learned?

Thanks Oodles icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Shamz Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 7:48am
post #2 of 3

Hi there! I had all the Q's as well when I decided to make my first henna design cookies. The trick to the most realistic/tradtional looking pattern (in my humble opinion) is to pipe really finely, almost lace but not lace. I googled henna designs n chose simple paisley patterns. There's no true science. Just enjoy n go with ur heart! I'm sure u r gona do just fine! BTW I used RI. Good Luck

aprilismaius Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 3

I have a book on Mendhi that I use for reference for designs. I look at the book and freehand from there. When I first started piping it, I would slightly imprint with a cookie cutter for a large paisley, outline it, and then fill in the rest of the design from there.

Here's a link to my first practice cake after a class I took with Zane Beg. We used chocolate duncan hines frosting to pipe, and 1 and 2 tip sizes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupidcupcakery/5588438451/in/photostream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%