Hi-Ratio Shortening Vs. Crisco

Baking By icer101 Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 4:33am by JanH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:53am
post #1 of 4

Hi, do you use the same amt. of hi-ratio shortening in a frosting recipe that you normally use crisco shortening. I,ve read somewhere that you would use less hi-ratio. tia

3 replies
Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 3:46am
post #2 of 4

I use the same amount and never have problems.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 3:58am
post #3 of 4

Thanks . Periperi for your reply.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:33am
post #4 of 4

Hi-ratio shortening has MORE stabilizers than Crisco so it can absorb MORE liquid without breaking down. As a result, you can use less hi-ratio when converting a Crisco based recipe.

When I got my first cube of Sweetex I used it 1:1 as a Crisco replacement. It was definitely too much of a good thing.... We could hardly eat the frosting because it was too rich (but the frosting definitely didn't have any greasy mouth feel). I compare it to trying to drink heavy cream when you're used to drinking whole milk....

CakemanOH recommends using 2/3 cup of hi-ratio to replace 1 cup of Crisco. And I find that works really well (and makes the hi-ratio more cost effective since hi-ratio IS more expensive than Crisco).

You can try using 2/3 cup hi-ratio:1 cup Crisco in your favorite recipe to see how you like the resulting b/c. (I would recommend experimenting with 1/2 to 1/4 of your standard recipe.)

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%