White Cake Recipe With A "very Fine" Crumb

Baking By cakeymom Updated 28 Mar 2014 , 12:41pm by Rfisher

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #1 of 5

I know there are threads on White Cakes, but I am looking for something very specific.

I am looking for a white cake or near white cake with a very fine crumb and that is light and tender made from scratch.

If you are willing share your recipe and photo I would greatly appreciate it. I tried cook's illustrated white layer cake and it had the very fine crumb and was light and tender but it was spongy.

cakeymom

4 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:45am
post #2 of 5

The recipe for Elvis' favorite pound cake is pretty white with a very fine crumb (you use cake flour and sift several times), but of course more dense.

I like to use part yolks and part egg whites which reduces the "eggy" flavor of the pound...and I reduce the sugar a tad, too. The outside of the cake browns, but the inside is pretty white, especially if you omit a few of the egg yolks.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dannani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dannani Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 3:36am
post #4 of 5

Hi!  Did you ever find the very fine crumb cake recipe you were looking for?  I'm looking for the exact same thing and wanted to see if you would share your finding?  :)  Thanks!

[email protected]

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 5

AIf you do not want to try FromScratch's, which is a great option, I'd suggest King Arthur's tender white cake or their elegant white cake. Possibly even ice water white cake? All are available online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%