Politely Decline?

Business By Lizzard1 Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 8:09pm by emrldsky

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:17am
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone! I absolutely hate saying no to someone and so I need a little guidance to decline a potental order. I was contacted by a family member who lives about 90 miles away from me. Basically, his daughter's friend is getting married and wants a wedding cake. So, being a proud uncle he told them about my "caking" icon_smile.gif

I only do cakes for family and friends for no charge. (sometimes they offer to buy my ingredients but thats it.) I do everything from my house and I don't have a business. He has been telling me for a while that I need to start one in his area. (I don't think he has any idea what that would entail even though it sounds like a great idea I know thats not possible for me at this time)

I don't know exactly how to handle this situation. I consider myself to be a "people pleaser" so I'm nervous. Any advice on declining this potential cake order would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Also, he doesn't think doing cakes illegally is an issue (but I do) so that excuse probably won't work on him. (he is a little headstrong)

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:24am
post #2 of 7

You could simply say that you don't have time to make a cake right now. And if you know this person well enough to get them a gift you could also say that you've already picked out a wedding gift.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:37am
post #3 of 7

"It's sweet of you to recommend me, but it's just not possible for me to make her wedding cake"

You are an adult and you don't need to make excuses to your uncle or anyone else for that matter.

Keep it short and to the point. No reason needed.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 7

Many venues won't allow a cake from an unlicensed baker to be used. Also, explain since you aren't a business, you don't have insurance to cover you if something goes wrong. Timing conflict. A wedding cake for someone you don't know is too much pressure. That's a long distance to travel with a wedding cake.

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:53am
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel better already icon_smile.gif

(p.s. cakestyles I sometimes still feel like I'm 17 and not 21 haha especially when my uncle is talking to me icon_wink.gif Thank you for the reminder)

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:02am
post #6 of 7

I would tell him that we are still getting a handle on doing cakes of that level of importance... you are flattered, but you woudl like to decline. You might offer to help them find a qualified baker in the area to do it, and go with them to the appt. maybe give them some money twards the cost of the cake... just ideas... hth.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

Just say you can't do the cake, but don't give reasons. If he presses, just say that you don't have the time or you have an obligation during that time.

I have a funny story, though, about my brother who was telling people about my caking. I wasn't legal at the time and his neighbor asked about me making a wedding cake. I didn't feel comfortable but before I could even tell my brother that, he called and said nevermind. I asked why and he said that the "dumb heifer" thought that she could get a cake for cost. He then told her that if she was that dumb, she could go fly a kite and that just because I gift my nieces and nephews cakes didn't mean I would do the same for her.

I had to laugh at that. I love my brother. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%