How To Keep Cake From Cracking Or Falling Apart Transporting

Decorating By zatsdeb Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 6:20am by BlakesCakes

zatsdeb Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone have any tips on how to keep a cake from falling apart or cracking while transporting it???? I am going to make a 2 tier cake for a friend who lives about an hour away and I am worried about it falling apart.

4 replies
cathyscakes Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 5

I looked at your cakes and it looks like you have done many tiered cakes, so i'm sure you know the mechanics of stacking cakes. If you want to feel really secure with your cake I would use the sps system, its so sturdy, I don't worry anymore. I chill my cakes before the trip, and put the cakes on a flat surface, on a non-skid mat, and drive carefully, and I crank up the air conditioning, and it will be fine.

tracycakes Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:21am
post #3 of 5

I use SPS and never have had a problem, even delivering a 6-tier cake, fully stacked. If the cake is cooked properly, it should crack or fall apart while transporting.

zatsdeb Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #4 of 5

I have made a lot of stacked cakes, the ones I make at work, (I work at walmart) I have good sturdy boards to put the cakes on for one, and also I do chill the cakes. I think the last one I made I didn't have it on a good sturdy board and that sucked for the cake. I know the cakes at walmart are denser I think, I have heard if you don't use an electric mixer the cake will not be so fluffy and hold better. I am also making white cake so I am hoping it will do better. I am making this cake at home, and I know I need to make sure I level the cakes off good too, and not make them too thick when I bake them... I did learn not to put fondant characters on the cake until they get to the destinations cause if they are heavy they mess with the cake also. I have a big chest freezer and was wondering if maybe I should freeze the cake for a few hours before it goes to its party. It is the first time I haven't delivered the cake and sure hope to make an awesome sweet 16 zebra cake birthday instead of a flop!

BlakesCakes Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:20am
post #5 of 5

I believe that if a cake is properly constructed, then it's well on it's way to surviving transport.

I will usually put 2 full height spikes into stacked cakes that are going to travel a long distance and I also sit all of my cakes on a double layer of memory foam as close to the center of the van floor as possible.

I really think that vibration is a major factor during transport and the memory foam dampens the vibration a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%