Fondant Or Marzipan For Figures?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 11:29pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 7

If I can't find little plastic prairie dogs and fish at Target tonight, I will have to make them from something for an anniversary cake for Sunday. I've only ever made MMF and that was years ago. I've never made figures or used marzipan or anything other than royal icing and buttercream on a cake. So. I love making little critters from clay though - what would you suggest I try that would be easy? I know I'm running out of time, as usual. (This is just for friends - I'm not in business) I only ask about Marzipan because the Cake Bible mentions using that. What do you think??

6 replies
lilcakebaker Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 7

I like fondant...doesn't dry too quickly but hard enough to hold its shape. It is also easy to use like clay.

theresaf Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 7

Gum paste dries pretty fast, even though I've only experimented with it once. But when I made little flowers they dried hard enough overnight and really hard a couple of days later. You can get it at Michael's (look for a coupon!).I hung them upside down from a little gumpaste drying-tree (also from Michael's) Good luck!

theresaf Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 7

Oh and I forgot to add, I think gum paste dries to hard to eat! Even though it is edible!!

Wildgirl Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 7

I hate to sound stupid, but gum paste is something you can buy and you just use it as is?

Kaykaymay Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 7

There is something called tylose powder you can add a couple tsps of it to about a handful of fondant and it basically turns the fondant into gumpaste. But yes you can buy ready made gumpaste as well. If you are making figures with it you would need at least a week for it to dry hard, because unlike clay you can't bake it dry you must let it air dry preferably under a light to help speed it up.

Wildgirl Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks - I will run to Michaels if I can't find what I need and get the gum paste. I actually have tylose, but haven't used it yet - wasn't sure exactly how to use it. icon_wink.gif Readymade gum paste sounds the easiest at the moment. The figures will be fairly small and it will be ok if they're not totally dry, as long as the outside is a bit crusty. Thankfully there will only be 14 people there including kids and they're all good friends. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%