Spidey Figure...modeling Choc Or Gum Paste?

Decorating By jeartist Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 9:54pm by lilcakebaker

jeartist Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 7

Making a Spidey figure for a cake topper. Never done this before and wondering if it's better to make from modeling chocolate or gum paste. If gum paste, I can paint it. If modeling choc, then would I have to clothe him in fondant? About 6" and in a prone position so would I need any sort of armature? Probably not........ Anyway, any advice is appreciated.

6 replies
lilcakebaker Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 7

I usually make mine out of fondant. Gum paste dries too quickly for me.

I use wire underneath with wood to hold them together...I have made plenty of them including Spiderman swinging from a rope. You can see them in my pics.

tracycakes Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:13am
post #3 of 7

After taking a modeling chocolate class with Mike McCarey, modeling chocolate is my favorite modeling medium. Gumpaste dries to fast, fondant will break or crack and modeling chocolate has a looong working time.

jeartist Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the advice. Was at a cake supply store today and saw a people mould kit. Do you use that or just freehand the sculpting?

lilcakebaker Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 7

I guess that all depends on how well you think you can sculpt icon_smile.gif I freehand mine simply because Im thick headed that way icon_smile.gif

If you freehand you can make it the size and shape that YOU want it.

jeartist Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 7

Me too! I always think I can do anything. I have time so I'm going to start practicing.

lilcakebaker Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 7

I have that same thought process...though it gets me into trouble sometimes! Thats why I refuse to use a "preformed shaped pan" I figure I can carve whatever I want it to look like LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%