Please Advice - Need Help On This

Baking By pj22 Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 9:12am by allaboutcakeuk

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 20

I am making cake pops for a friend and she liked this technique of drizzling as shown in this pic http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1930166

I tried doing it with white chocolate in a ziploc bag and snipping one end off but it did not have a neat spiral look like that.

Can someone please guide me on how to get this look? Thanks in advance!

19 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 20

I would put the melted chocolate in an icing bag and use a small tip....you'll get a more uniform look than you got using the ziploc bag.

pj22 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:31am
post #3 of 20

Thanks but is there a way to get them round and spirally like that? I doesn't seem to work :/

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:48am
post #4 of 20

I would slowly spin the cakepop while applying the chocolate.

Sorry, I can't think of a better way to describe what I'm talking about...I wish I could show you. lol

pj22 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:45am
post #5 of 20

Thanks cakestyles... one last question though! Would you hold the cake pop horizontally or vertically while spinning it gradually?

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 7:15am
post #6 of 20

I'm still practicing this technique. I use a snack-size ziploc baggie and snip the tiniest part off the corner of it.

With my left hand, I hold the cake pop by it's stick, horizontally, and my right hand is ready to squeeze out the design. I turn or slowly spin the cake pop in my left hand while squeezing out the circular design.

pj22 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:10am
post #7 of 20

Thanks so much FabricGal... I'm gonna practice!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:44am
post #8 of 20

When you use a baggie, your hole will be football shaped and have two seams. If you want that look, get the $2 tip and pastry bags.

pj22 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 20

Thanks scp1127, you are very helpful and always answer on all my posts!! I appreciate it!! icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 3:19am
post #10 of 20

Your'e welcome pj. I learned that the hard way.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 4:02am
post #11 of 20

I always thought that if I needed to, I would get one of those battery-operated, spinning lollipop holders to spin it for me, provided they don't spin that fast!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 4:22am
post #12 of 20

I agree with scp1127 to get a perfect line use a tip with a pastry bag... Though I think you should start with a smaller tip. Chocolate is very runny and a lot will come out of a small hole...
Another thing have you tried to PM that CC user she might have the answer to your question icon_smile.gif

HTH

scp1127 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 4:39am
post #13 of 20

Cupcations, I put, "$2", indicating that it was rather inexpensive to do it right. You are right though. A #1 would be good. I often use parchment bags so that I can snip it as small as I need. But not everyone wants to fold those bags.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 4:53am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Cupcations, I put, "$2", indicating that it was rather inexpensive to do it right. You are right though. A #1 would be good. I often use parchment bags so that I can snip it as small as I need. But not everyone wants to fold those bags.

LOL sorry I misunderstood thumbs_up.gif
I thought it was a spelling mistake since $ and # are next to each other icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:33am
post #15 of 20

No, but my "g" is starting to stick. So if you all see my edits, I'm "puttin" in missing g's.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:18am
post #16 of 20

I agree on the #1 tip with thinned chocolate. Also--you need to do this over a large pan and/or huge piece of Reynolds freezer paper, shiny side up. You'll have a lot of chocolate drizzle that will go everywhere but the pop. Using freezer paper allows you to scrape up the extras and re-use.

I too learned the hard way to drizzle on the paper and get a fine, thin, line BEFORE applying to the pop (in my case, fresh dipped strawberries). If you don't do that IMPORTANT step, you get giant globs when you initially start applying the drizzle.

For the spiral, hold the pops at a 45 degree angle (like the axis of the earth) and spin. Looks like she drags the final "spin" on top off to the side.

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:56am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

When you use a baggie, your hole will be football shaped and have two seams. If you want that look, get the $2 tip and pastry bags.

All I can tell you is that I snipped off a teeny tiny corner tip from the ziploc and did not have any kind of football-shaped drizzle and I didn't have any kind of a seam showing either.

Here's a video that shows the technique better, and it sure looks like she is using a small ziploc baggie to me.

http://mykcbakes.blogspot.com/2011/07/lets-do-twist.html

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:56am
post #18 of 20

here's a video, http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=130274417050125

I suggest using a parchment cone and snipping the tip a tiny bit. if you use a metal tip you will struggle with the melts getting hard from the cold metal and you cannot just pop it in the microwave to reheat because it's metal!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 7:18am
post #19 of 20

I was reading an email from Bakerella today for some cake pops she made, and she also said that you should use a tip. The reason for this being that when you cut the tip out of the ziploc bag you have seams that won't allow for the circular flow from the bag. Bakerella really knows her stuff when it comes to cake pops. So you may really want to try using a round piping tip.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:12am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj22

Thanks but is there a way to get them round and spirally like that? I doesn't seem to work :/

just a thought but have you tried putting the cake pop stick on the edge of a table or similar and rolling it along with the palm of your hand - so the cake pop is hanging off the edge of a ledge (like rolling a pencil) so that it rolls and you ice as it's rolling - save trying to twiddle/twirl it in your fingers as you ice?

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%