Could Use Some Advise For This Kind Of Filling....

Decorating By elisa05 Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 11:46pm by SweetDreams_DK

elisa05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elisa05 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everybody,

I saw a recipe for the best chcolate cake ever. (If you want the recipe I can post it, so just ask). But I have a question about the filling that is used in the recipe.

This is what you need for the Chocolate Cream filling:
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
5 egg yolks
1/3 cup extra fine sugar
2½ cups (14 ounces) bittersweet chocolate (70% bittersweet pistoles or buttons or you may also chop it from a block)

My question is:
In this recipe, the filling is stored at roomtemperature untill it becomes a bit more firm.
But does anyone know if this filling must be kept in the refrigerator after filling a cake with it? Or can a cake (a fondant covered cake), filled with this cream filling, be kept at roomtemperature? I hope someone can advise me.

If you want to see how the filling (and the cake) is made, you can see it here:

14 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:09am
post #2 of 15

I would definitely keep a cake with that filling rerfrigerated.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:27am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I would definitely keep a cake with that filling rerfrigerated.

thumbs_up.gif Agree 100%.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 15

when you have the time, could you please post the cake recipe. tia

elisa05 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 15

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your time and advice!!!!!

This is the complete recipe (filling and cake):
I have not tried it yet. So I hope you like it!

"BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE EVER!
By Pastry Chef Jane Gibson

The Cake

Makes 3 8-inch cake rounds.
2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa powder *
2½ teaspoons baking soda
1½ cups canola oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups buttermilk

Chocolate Cream Filling

1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
5 egg yolks
1/3 cup extra fine sugar
2½ cups (14 ounces) bittersweet chocolate - Cacao Barry 70% bittersweet pistoles or buttons*

*Please see complete recipe (below) for ingredient suggestions.

http://www.saltys.com/recipes/desserts/best_chocolate_cake_ever.asp

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 15

That is a chocolate custard recipe. It does need to be refrigerated.

Stephanie

elisa05 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 15

thank you Stephanie!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 15

Agree on the refrigeration. There's not enough sugar to make the dairy safe at toom temp.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 15

I was just looking at that recipe and the proportions seem off to me...I'm a scratch baker so I always look at the recipe and determine if I think it'll be successful before I try it.

1 1/2 cups of oil and 2 cups of buttermilk to 2c flour and 1c cocoa powder seems like a LOT of liquid to dry ingredients.

Have you tried it yet?

About the filling...I make a chocolate custard similar to that recipe and it doesn't need refrigeration...I'm a non hazardous home baker (licensed) and my similar recipe was approved as being shelf stable. You're cooking the eggs (and boiling the milk and cream beforehand).

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 12:21am
post #10 of 15

Sorry I can't help you out here. I watched the youtube video and it looks amazing. Thanks for posting the recipe. I hope you get your answer.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:19am
post #11 of 15

Custards need to be refrigerated. Any questions, look it up on the egg board site and the dairy board.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 6:50am
post #12 of 15

I saw this same recipe/video and made the chocolate creme anglaise. (I did not make the cake. I have my own doctored sour cream chocolate recipe that is WONDERFUL!) The chocolate anglaise was VERY tasty, but it NEVER thickened. It was too thin, even after refrigeration. I ended up using it as a filling and went to another ganache recipe by Kathleen Lange on ConfectionaryChalet.com (she is one of my wonderful teachers).

Cakestyles--perhaps you were correct on the proportions of liquids in the Jane Gibson recipe. Maybe that is why mine never thickened.

I MUCH prefer the recipe on Kathleen's site to the one by Chef Jane Gibson. Here's the link to Kathleen Lange's recipe for ganache:

http://confectionarychalet.com/recipes05.shtml

Both ganache and chocolate creme anglaise have to be refrigerated after the initial setting up period. You can also freeze any leftovers.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 12:49pm
post #13 of 15

Apti, I love creme anglaise. I've tried to thicken it too for certain recipes, but I haven't gotten the consistency of pastry cream yet. I have used cornstarch, but I guess not enough. I want to turn it into a base for German Buttercream.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:22pm
post #14 of 15

Both the Jane Gibson chocolate creme anglais and the Kathleen Lange ganache tasted fabulous but gave me INSTANT heartburn! I don't even dare taste a tiny bit.

SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 11:46pm
post #15 of 15

I was lucky enough to study with Chef Jane Gibson at the Art Institute of Seattle, and I can tell you that her buttermilk chocolate cake is fabulous. It is my go to chocolate cake! The version I have of the recipe is by weight though. I'd need to scale it down to know if the recipe listed here matches, but it looks close.

As for the chocolate creme, it's really a ganache made with creme anglais rather than straight cream. Just be sure to let it set up long enough to be spreadable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%