Shoe Going To Flop - Any Advice?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 5:46pm by Claire138

Claire138 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone have any advice for me on a shoe that I think is not going to stand the weight once I remove the support?

I made a Louboutin shoe out of MMF and I have a strong suspicion that it is not going to hold up when I remove the support between the heel and bottom part of shoe. I've never had this problem with MMF before but bc the fondant was already weak - in my opinion - because the black fondant was cracking. I find the black fondant always stiffer than other colours due to the cocoa powder I put in to help the colour darken.

Long story short, can anyone help? or should I start making another shoe with a thicker sole? (please say no, I'm so tired I could cry)!

15 replies
mariacakestoo Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 16

You should use GP for things like that.

Claire138 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 16

I know, but I haven't any so is there anything (else) I can do? like some magical invisible support system?

mariacakestoo Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 16

Maybe leave the support in until you deliver it, and pull it out after you set the cake down. Maybe it will hold up thru the party. In the future, add tylose to your mmf or just use GP. Fondant on it's own isn't a good idea if you want nice looking, sturdy pieces.

Claire138 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 16

I've thought of that but it's for a surprise birthday party and the husband is coming to pick it up plus what if it just collapses or breaks immediately? There is a tear on the side of the sole (albeit a small one due to the cracking of black fondant). Should I try to reinforce it somehow? and if so, how?
Hope I'm not sounding too desperate here but .......... I AM desperate! I really don't want to have to remake this shoe.

mariacakestoo Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 16

Maybe cut a piece of thick clear plastic that you can glue underneath it so you can't see it?

Claire138 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 16

Hmmm, that's a good idea......... now I have to find some plastic that's suitable; I swear sometimes I feel like I'm taking one step forward and 5 steps back.

mayo2222 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 16

You could always add some cardboard and cover the cardboard with another layer of fondant to hide the cardboard

Claire138 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 16

Thank you both for your advice. I will try the cardboard idea and see how it goes. If I really feel it will fail I'll just have to make another one...... sigh.

mayo2222 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 16

How did the shoe turn out?

HamSquad Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 16

If all else fails, maybe royal icing. I made a MMF baby crib and it was during the summer, the humidity was horrible. I had use gumtex in the fondant, but was still too soft. In desperation I glazed royal icing over the panels front and back, in this case for a shoe repair, just under the shoe and you could also repair cracks using a small round tip and smoothing it. Best Wishes.

Claire138 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 16

The shoe is due for monday. I made it early to leave it enough time to dry, so far as of this morning (well afternoon now) it seems to be holding up. I will leave the support in until the very last moment.
Thanks for the idea of royal icing, I will definitely do that. Maybe it will shore up the support too.

Thanks for all your help

taranisha Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 16

does anyone know where I can get a tutorial on how to make a igh heel shoe out of RKT?

kisamarie Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:19pm
post #14 of 16

I attempted a Louboutin this past week, I only allowed 7 days and boy was that a mistake. I broke the first then tried to make a second and it was a failure, not enough time for the second one to dry. I dont think I will try it again unless I order a shoe kit, trying to "create" supports for it was a logistical nightmare. I ended up cutting up a new shoe and covering it in plastic wrap to keep it food safe. I used gumpaste but wished I'd had some tylose to help speed the drying. I dont know how you could have done it with just fondant, that must have been really hard, and frustrating!

Claire138 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 5:45pm
post #15 of 16

The shoe held up beautifully - yay! was so happy and my friend was over the moon about it. I couldn't wait for her to pick it up bc I was so nervous but it held up.

Kisamarie - this is what I used for the shoe.

http://how2cakes.com/shoe.html

Really helpful,

Thanks everyone for your help

Claire138 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 5:46pm
post #16 of 16

The shoe held up beautifully - yay! was so happy and my friend was over the moon about it. I couldn't wait for her to pick it up bc I was so nervous but it held up.

Kisamarie - this is what I used for the shoe.

http://how2cakes.com/shoe.html

Really helpful,

Thanks everyone for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%