Real Flowers On Cake Dummy

Decorating By mmsantos Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 2:57pm by mmsantos

mmsantos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmsantos Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 6

This will be my first time doing real flowers on a cake. I'll be placing orchids on a 5 tier dummy cake that's 14", 12", 10", 8" and the 6" is a real cake. Any suggestions on "gluing" the flowers to the cake. Are wires best to poke through the styrofoam? I wanted to do cascading flowers, but not sure if this is too hard and maybe just placing the flowers on each tier is easier. Is wire best or using tylose glue preferred? Any suggestions are extremely helpful.

5 replies
tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 6

When you say real flowers, are you referring to fresh flowers? If so, I've found the best way to put them into fake tiers is by cutting the stem and placing floral wire into it. Are you sing fondant for your icing? When I've used fresh flowers on a fondant covered fake cake, I've noticed that they wilt quicker for some reason. Somtimes they will weep onto the fondant causing the fondant to moisten and get sticky and gooey. It would definitely be easier to place them in clusters on the tiers rather than cascading down the cake.

mmsantos Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 6

thank you so much. this is extremely helpful. Yes, I am using fondant to cover the dummies. Are there any other factors that cause the flowers to wilt prematurely?

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not sure what caused it, but the wires did seem to help. Just make sure you use quality flowers and not grocery store flowers. When I used quality flowers from a good florist, the flowers looked good the following day.

korean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korean Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 6

you could also use floral picks that you can cluster the flowers into. I know that many of them also hold some water which would help with wilting. Dummy cakes can be pretty solid so if you use a pick you could pre-drill some holes into the 'cakes' Otherwise I would go with florist wires- be sure to wrap another layer of florist tape around your wires so the flowers don't 'spin' into the cakes

mmsantos Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys! I got the supplies yesterday, both wires and floral picks. Unfortunately they didn't have the ones that can store water, so I just purchased the wooden ones. Also, since I'll be doing a real cake for the top tier, 6", that they will cut, should I anchor or support it somehow to the dummy cakes or is that unnecessary. Please advise. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%