Newbie Needing Help With Fondant

Decorating By MostlyCupcakes Updated 7 Nov 2011 , 1:55pm by KathysCC

MostlyCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MostlyCupcakes Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 9

Ok so here it is. I bake mostly cupcakes and buttercream cakes. Very simple. I have never taken a class and have made my own MM fondant (which I've had issues with) but very simple, covering only a two layer cake with simple cutouts. There's a lady who owns a party service who wants to use me for her parties, which is great, but she wants me to do the cake in the picture (i've attached). It looks pretty simple, but I told her I'm not experienced in fondant and making custom cakes like that. She is very persistent and says she has faith in me LOL. I told her I might attempt to try this, but I don't even know where to start (considering my own MM fondant was difficult to work with...it was very dry and kinda hard). It looks heavy and I wouldn't want it to collapse. If you can offer any tips (I searched on the web and youtube with no avail) on how to get this cake done I would appreciate it.

Also, how much would you charge for this cake? I make all my cakes from scratch. Thanks a bunch.

8 replies
EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 9

You'll need to upload the photo to your own photos and then paste a link to it here for us to see. The photo attachment feature hasn't worked for ages!

MostlyCupcakes Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 9
EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 9

That didn't seem to work either! Upload it to your CC photos (make sure you label it as not one of your own) and then paste the link here. Good luck!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 9

I don't see the picture... But you might want to think about buying some premade fondant for certain decorations. I love the wilton fondant for figures or stuff that needs to stand up since its a bit thicker than other premade brands

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 9

After you post a pic we can give you more of an idea on where to start but as far as pricing only you know what you charge people. $ per slice, your hourly rate, cost of ingredients all of these things will give you an idea on what to charge.

MostlyCupcakes Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 9

my goodness lol here it is

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2160312

MostlyCupcakes Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:29am
post #8 of 9

i think the link is now available. can anyone help me on how to go about making this? does this need dowels?

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCakeLady

That didn't seem to work either! Upload it to your CC photos (make sure you label it as not one of your own) and then paste the link here. Good luck!

You cannot post a photo to your gallery that is not your own cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%