Cake Balls That Are Mushy

Baking By MollyHammond Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 4:18pm by pj22

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 7

I know that using less frosting in the crmbled cake mixture will help with the mushy texture but I want a cake texture. I also find that cake balls with frosting are really sweet. I am trying to achieve a cake texture without it being overly sweet. Can I just use a really moist cake without the frosting or will this crumble? Any suggestions would really help.
Thanks

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:53am
post #2 of 7

I've always understood cake balls to be a blend of crumbled cake with a binder. Most people use frosting or jam for that binder. So cake balls will have a mushy texture and are very sweet.

If you want cake balls with a cake texture you may need to create a new product. Perhaps find a specialty pan that can bake little semi-spheres. "Glue" them together after baking and dip in chocolate. You'll need a firm cake recipe, maybe pound cake will work. Can't think of anything simpler, sorry.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:09am
post #3 of 7

I neVee use a binder, I just bake a vey moist cake and squish it rely well with my hands. It helps if it's partially frozen before ypu smoosh it up with your hands. It tastes like pure cake, not too sweet!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:16am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom

I neVee use a binder, I just bake a vey moist cake and squish it rely well with my hands. It helps if it's partially frozen before ypu smoosh it up with your hands. It tastes like pure cake, not too sweet!

Sounds easy! Does it stay together without falling apart? And what's the texture like? The OP wants a cake-like texture.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:40am
post #5 of 7

It's not a cake like texture, it only tastes like cake. This is due to the fact the cake is so compressed in order to get iton the stick. There is something called a baby cakes maker tha tight work for the texture you want. Enjoy!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 7

I don't use a binder either. I just smoosh my moist cake together. The texture is like a dense brownie.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Perhaps find a specialty pan that can bake little semi-spheres. "Glue" them together after baking and dip in chocolate. You'll need a firm cake recipe, maybe pound cake will work. Can't think of anything simpler, sorry.

I just saw the Bake Pops infomercial on TV and called my local As Seen on TV store to see if they have it and they are getting them next week.

The pans are 2 spheres that you fill batter in and bake so it is just a round cake instead of something mushy mixed with frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%