Frustrated With Kaf - Espresso Powder

Decorating By babeebk Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 3:44pm by matthewkyrankelly

babeebk Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 3

This is a vent...

I have been a loyal King Arthur Flour customer for several years now but lately I've grown dissatisfied with their offerings and customer service. For the second time this year, they have discontinued a product quantity that I use frequently. Their 8oz bag of espresso powder was $16.95 plus tax and shipping (which in my opinion was expensive anyway, but it's a good product so I spend for it). They are now only selling 3 oz packages for $7.95. When I contacted customer service, they have no explanation for the change and were rather flippant with me when I asked about them bringing back the larger size. They did the same thing with the signature secrets culinary thickener. When you operate a small bakery like I do, you can go through tons of this stuff in a week. My costs would almost triple if I buy the smaller containers. I don't want to have to pass these costs onto my customers. I like my pricing the way it is.

I'm frustrated because I'm doing my best to manage my costs, make a profit and keep my products affordable. Have any of you had issues with KAF lately?

2 replies
Jennifer1970 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 3

I haven't ordered from them lately, but get the catalog and noticed the prices seemed a lot higher. Can you do a Google search for espresso powder, and find something comparable? What about Amazon.com? I bought my Neilson-Massey vanilla (32 oz.) bottle from Amazon, free shipping and it was cheaper than KAF.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 3

The way I look at it, prices are going way up everywhere. KAF is marketing this product in the best way they can. OK - so it doesn't meet your needs anymore. There are other espresso powders. Odds are KAF doesn't make it. They are resellers.

My guess is that if you try a few of the better products out there, you'll find what you are looking for at a reasonable price, just not at KAF for this product.

Now don't get me wrong, but getting really upset with a flour company for espresso powder packaging is probably not the best path.

Have you checked the S P I C E H O U S E for espresso powder? $22.99 for 16 ounces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%