Has Anybody Covered A Whole Cake Using The Grass Tip (233)?

Decorating By theCword Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 3:09pm by theCword

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 5

I tried this several weekends ago on some cupcakes for a softball teams end of season party.

They turned out great and tasted great up until they sat out for over an hour in the heat.

Granted, I didn't use hi ratio and used a shortening that caused me trouble before.

THe problem was that the grass ended up very very crusty. I did use a crusting bc but this was ridiculously crusty. I was embarrassed and blamed it on the sun. icon_redface.gif

I have a gabba gabba cake to do this weekend and would LOVE to cover the middle tier (brobee) in green fur but the cake will be outside and I'm terrified it will crust up like the cupcakes did. I do plan to do a test trial but wanted to see if anybody else has experienced this. Thanks!

4 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 5

I used the grass tip to cover the cookie monster in my photos. I didn't have any problems or complaints. What frosting are you using?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 5

I've used the grass tip to do a lot of fur before and yes, the tips do get crusted and its messy to serve. icon_smile.gif

Little1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Little1 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 5

I've done this a number of times. I've used it on 3d animal cakes for fur and on flat areas of cakes as grass. I've also used it on cupcakes. I have never had any problems. The very tip of the bc does get quite hard, but they came out wonderfully. It's such an amazing tip! Try it again, but don't use the shortening that gave you trouble.

I'm going with you... blame it on the sun. Heat & bc are not friends. icon_wink.gif

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 5

I used the Wilton recipe. I believe I used like 3/4 cup shortening and the rest butter. I think.. I've experimented so much I forget what I've done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%